Sand is too fine- How can I remedy this

Countrywantabe

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 25, 2012
Hi everyone- so my husband and father just completed a big new coop and put sand in it. Lots of sand. Only problem is it is really fine sand so it is clumping and I am having a hard time raking out the droppings like I was able too in our portable coop. Short of pulling out all that sand is there a way I can fix this by adding something to it like maybe coarse sand or will that just clump as well? Are we stuck this way? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

dig out the sand and use wood shavings...the kind that comes in bales ...about $5 each...you could spread it on top of the sand but I would remove the sand if it were me....sorry....
sad.png

Instead of trying to 'rake' the sand, could you 'scoop' it instead--with a kitty litter scoop? Most folks that use sand scoop instead of rake. If your coop area is really big, you could put some screening over your rake to make a giant scoop.

I put tons of little holes ( used a drill with the smallest bit I could find) in a 5 gal bucket . Then I rake my coop floor into a pile and shovel some into the bucket and shake it . The poop and hay and leaves stay in and the good sand falls out. I don't know if this will work for you I only put about a inch of sand on my floor .

We have sand in our smaller coop but have never had this problem before now- we bought it from a different supplier (a full yard and a half). It would be great for sandcastles - not so great for the coop. I do have a kitty scoop but the sand is sticking in it even though the scoop has large holes not mesh. I don't think the sand is wet but it sure clumps and compacts. In the past we have preferred the sand - much easier to keep clean on a daily basis - just a few minutes each day.

Yep... Probably the number one mistake I see made with sand. Many people use playground sand or poolfilter sand aand since this sand is specifically screened to be small and uniform sized it packs down and will soon be like concrete. If you use sand you need a builders sand sometimes also called river sand or concrete sand or mortar sand. You do not want uniformity of size. With that said; IMPO do as above and pull it all out and use wood chips or shavings. Build a poop board under the roost and put sand in there... Break that poop board sand up with stall dry in equal portion to the sand. Spend 5 minutes a day scooping it with a kitty scoop.... Done.

Back
Top Bottom