Sand needed in the run?

mom2jedi

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
San Diego, CA
I don't have my chickies yet but am trying to plan as much as I can. My DH has offered to build a coop/run and we thought we had it planned out pretty well. I was just reading on another post about putting sand in the run. Is that a common thing? Or would the ground be fine? What's the benefit of sand? Lastly, if it is better, how much would you need and is there a specific kind to use? I would imagine sandbox sand may not be the best idea - too expensive right?

Thanks for your help,
Shauna

I use sand. Our run is 12x16 and I buy play sand by the bag, use around six bags to spread around - at Lowes I think it's a little over $3 a bag. It's very fine sand. The reason I cover the entire run is because I found it's easier to clean up poop. I take a flat head shovel and easily run it across the top and scrape up the top layer. I replace it every other month or so.

We have coops with just dirt in them and they tend get STINKY quick. Well we have a creek behind the house that is FULL of clean, fine play sand and I got the bright idea to start putting sand in the wet spots and it worked WONDERS!!! I now have 6 inches of sand in every coop and low spot in the pasture. The sand pulls the wetness right out of the poo and any spilled water, and you can run a rake right thru it to pull any clumps right out. Sand is pretty cheap if you buy it by the truckload, and I highly recommend it.

Thanks everyone, I guess I'll put sand into the planning as well. I would never have thought of using it for the moisture aspect. I'm planning to do the deep litter method in the coop. I'm a little unclear still about maintenance in the run. If I use sand in it, would I rake it like you would with a horse stall and put the chicken poop in the compost pile? Or would I rake it into the sand and spread DE on top like you do in the DLM in the coop?

If that's the case, do you change out the sand once a year completely or just add new sand to it?

Thanks mom2jedi for posting this question.

DH and I just finished our coop/run and we have lots of low spots.

We are kicking around the idea of useing sand, but my concern is sand fleas and ants.

I would like to know if putting DE in the sand will help with keep fleas and ants from making a home in the added sand?

For those who have sand covered runs... Do you use DE to help control bugs like fleas and ants?

Quote:
You're welcome!
big_smile.png

Very good questions yourself, I remember reading DE helps with mite and lice control. I would hope if it takes care of one insect, it would take care of fleas and ants as well.

Anyone know for sure?

Shauna

I like the sand to cus (I only have a few chickens) so sometimes I will just "scoop" out the poo with a cat scooper to keep the run fresh. The sand acts like kitty litter.

I have sand in my EE pen and I do not have a problem with ants or fleas, or anything else as far as that goes. I do not use DE because I can not find food grade around here.

Back
Top Bottom