Sand or pine shavings in the coop?

Our chicks are still kind of small so I don't think they'll use the roosts right away. We're going to use the pine shavings for now, since we have a big bag of them anyway. Once they're used up we'll consider doing sand.

Quote:
60166_doug.jpg

I made a poop screen out of some plastic mesh, every couple days i rake the poop into a pile and clean it out like a litter box. Only takes about a minute and i just toss the poop in the compost pile. I sat and spied on the chicks the other night and they all lay around taking their dust baths before they head to the roost for bed.

Quote:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/60166_doug.jpg

I made a poop screen out of some plastic mesh, every couple days i rake the poop into a pile and clean it out like a litter box. Only takes about a minute and i just toss the poop in the compost pile. I sat and spied on the chicks the other night and they all lay around taking their dust baths before they head to the roost for bed.

Where do you buy your sand...how, in a bag, or from a nursery?

We bought a bunch of sand from Home Depot (just their All Purpose Sand). They were 60lb bags and were about $3 each.

Quote:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/60166_doug.jpg

Where do you buy your sand...how, in a bag, or from a nursery?

Local concrete company. I bought their "ready mix" sand, its what they use in the concrete. I picked up a yard because that's the minimum, it was enough for the coop, a sandbox for my son, and i might have enough to throw some in the run once they kill the grass. I have about 2" in the coop.

Hey thanks everyone, I'm talking my hubby into going to get some sand as of tomorrow.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Congrats on the new batch..that's a pretty cute chick over there. I love hatching..I have to say, I just may be a bit addicted to this!

Back
Top Bottom