Sand? What is the right kind?

Soon2BChixMom

Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens
Jan 8, 2017
I found some "tube" sand for a $1 a bag. It is sand they use to weight down cars for snow travel I guess as that is what the lady told me. When I looked at it, it was like lake sand - lots of tiny rocks and sand mixed in. Would this work for dust baths? Should I look for something on the bag that tells me this is not good sand to use?

Anything but finely ground play or sandbox sand will be fine. If it looks like river or lake sand, it's good. I use a sand called masonry sand. It's finer than construction sand, but has grit size particles. It's been working great for me. I haul it home by the half yard from the cement yard outside of town. It costs me $20 for half a yard.

Anything but finely ground play or sandbox sand will be fine. If it looks like river or lake sand, it's good. I use a sand called masonry sand. It's finer than construction sand, but has grit size particles. It's been working great for me. I haul it home by the half yard from the cement yard outside of town. It costs me $20 for half a yard.
That's great! It is really discounted, so I guess I am going to go back to load up! Thanks!

In the past I've looked up Quikrete all purpose sand it contains crystalline silica, based on using those tube bags in the past, it looks like it is the general purpose sand. I would not use it, personally.

In the past I've looked up Quikrete all purpose sand it contains crystalline silica, based on using those tube bags in the past, it looks like it is the general purpose sand. I would not use it, personally.
tried looking up the product and the website mentions crystalline silica being used but does not state in which product they use it in. It just gives a lit of products under the Quikrete umbrella on the Safety Data Sheet

Back
Top Bottom