sand dust

Hi There - We like it well enough but after a while (I am a daily scooper) I felt like particles of poo (if they step on some during the day etc) were mixed in with the sand and I became germophobic about it. At the time we had nine young ones (only a few months old) and the poop up a storm! So I ended up, after a relatively long period, replacing back with dirt. I figure if there are particles in there that get mixed in it would biodegrade eventually BUTTTT - then I discovered pine pellets. The best thing ever. They are pellets , they almost look like feed for a larger animal) and they turn in to dust when they get wet. They absorb moisture and when the girls poop on them, you can see it really well (so for me great for scooping) and it keeps their feet clean. Even after they turn to dust (after a good horizontal rain) they dry out quickly and are so easy to clean. Also LOVE hemp for the coop. Smells so fresh and so easy to scoop (I am not a deep litter method person tho). https://shop.smallpetselect.com/products/pine-pellet-litter-bedding?variant=2617784762394&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&nbt=nb:adwords:g:1602039342:63392169551:304519094607&nb_adtype=pla&nb_kwd=&nb_ti=pla-595671714442&nb_mi=8141300&nb_pc=online&nb_pi=shopify_US_176205758490_2617784762394&nb_ppi=595671714442&nb_placement=&nb_si={sourceid}&nb_li_ms=&nb_lp_ms=&nb_fii=&nb_ap=&nb_mt=&tw_source=google&tw_adid=304519094607&tw_campaign=1602039342&gclid=CjwKCAjw5dqgBhBNEiwA7PryaJrVHh0KtQB20cFKxtJJ7yuBsZc2lvhXY-PsBs0YWnfV58Di_C0fJRoCBKUQAvD_BwE
Ah, thank you SO much for this. You use the pellets in your run and the hemp in your coop, correct? I have so many questions. Do you change it out ever? Do you mind sharing more details like how many inches you lay in each and the general cost? I'm intrigued.

I'm not into the deep bedding. Sand sounded cleaner but not so much after your testimony. I'm totally stumped as to what to use. This has been the hardest decision in my planning.

Ah, thank you SO much for this. You use the pellets in your run and the hemp in your coop, correct? I have so many questions. Do you change it out ever? Do you mind sharing more details like how many inches you lay in each and the general cost? I'm intrigued.

I'm not into the deep bedding. Sand sounded cleaner but not so much after your testimony. I'm totally stumped as to what to use. This has been the hardest decision in my planning.
We have natural, washed, coarse grain river sand that we get by the dump truckload from our local quarry. Our environment is hot and wet in the summer and cold and wet in the winter. Sand works well to keep all my girls feet dry and clean. The run is covered, so the sand stays dry. I don’t change it, but every few years we add to it. I use a long handled metal wok spider to scoop the poop twice a day. Our soil is all clay, so the compost pile gets spread out over the area to break up the clay. The sand in the coop is a couple of inches deep and is mixed with Sweet PDZ. The sand in the run averages 8” deep at the far end and about 4” closest to the coop (the land slopes). I love it, even though it is dusty.

9FB41529-6DD8-44CA-8693-BB6C6B10724A.jpeg

7DF5C5BB-C46A-45B6-81C2-DFA0F0D468E8.jpeg

024BA58C-AA93-4E44-9343-41DADD37B2DF.jpeg

E3222A37-1800-4F8C-BB65-0EBFFFAF872F.jpeg

We have natural, washed, coarse grain river sand that we get by the dump truckload from our local quarry. Our environment is hot and wet in the summer and cold and wet in the winter. Sand works well to keep all my girls feet dry and clean. The run is covered, so the sand stays dry. I don’t change it, but every few years we add to it. I use a long handled metal wok spider to scoop the poop twice a day. Our soil is all clay, so the compost pile gets spread out over the area to break up the clay. The sand in the coop is a couple of inches deep and is mixed with Sweet PDZ. The sand in the run averages 8” deep at the far end and about 4” closest to the coop (the land slopes). I love it, even though it is dusty.

View attachment 3448570

View attachment 3448576

View attachment 3448578

View attachment 3448581
This is great info. Thanks so much for detailing your method and for including the photos. Really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom