Sand, Wood Chips, Dirt?

Evenflo09

Chirping
Apr 14, 2022
Central Alabama USA
My run is currently dirt, and is hard packed on one side, loose on the other. It's uncovered except for wire top and shade cloth. It drains good as there's never any mud unless it just was to flood everyday for a week. Matter of fact, we are going to put landscaping timbers down outside because it on a hill, and rain washes the dirt down to the front of the coop. That being said, I've noticed a smell at the back of the run that won't go away. There's a huge tree right behind it and it stays in shade most of the day. I clean up poo at least every two days, but smell still there. I was using first Saturday lime and DE, but they've done nothing. I put Stall Dry out last night, but still smells. Question is, will using a bedding in the run help? Will using a disinfectant once a week in that area help? If so which type of bedding would be best for my area, I'm in the deep South and it's hot and humid. What is a good disinfectant to use? I'm thinking it has something to do with that tree because it's mainly at the back of the coop house and the run. Like I said, there's no standing water in the at all, I keep it clean, and the dirt is pretty compacted in that area. Wonder if I should till it, that is if I could work the tiller in there without breaking it on roots from that tree, lol. Should I just leave it alone as is and accept that there's always going to be somewhat of a smell? It's not an ammonia smell, but it is kind of funky.

If you're getting an odor in a dirt run it's probably because the poop load is overwhelming the ability of the soil bacteria to neutralize it. It's probably worst under the tree because the chickens are spending more time there in the shade.

The solution to such issues is often to add plenty of dry organic material. Since you're in the South, do you have pine straw available?

I love pine straw in my run. It's light and easy to handle, doesn't tend to pack and matt, dries out rapidly on top after even the heaviest rain, and is free for the raking on my property.

If you don't have pine straw, can you get coarse wood chips? The sort you get from a tree-trimming service. These are often considered the gold standard for controlling odor and mud.

If you're getting an odor in a dirt run it's probably because the poop load is overwhelming the ability of the soil bacteria to neutralize it. It's probably worst under the tree because the chickens are spending more time there in the shade.

The solution to such issues is often to add plenty of dry organic material. Since you're in the South, do you have pine straw available?

I love pine straw in my run. It's light and easy to handle, doesn't tend to pack and matt, dries out rapidly on top after even the heaviest rain, and is free for the raking on my property.

If you don't have pine straw, can you get coarse wood chips? The sort you get from a tree-trimming service. These are often considered the gold standard for controlling odor and mud.
Thank you! May try some pine straw from the yard. I've also got a line on getting some free wood chips this week. Going to try that too. I have been worried about using wood chips and organic material because things have a tendency to mold around here really quickly. I'm at the edge of a national forest, and there's tons of decomposing material. It's being able to find what I can use that's not either molded or ridden with bugs or covered in fire ants, lol.

Thank you! May try some pine straw from the yard. I've also got a line on getting some free wood chips this week. Going to try that too. I have been worried about using wood chips and organic material because things have a tendency to mold around here really quickly. I'm at the edge of a national forest, and there's tons of decomposing material. It's being able to find what I can use that's not either molded or ridden with bugs or covered in fire ants, lol.

In the wild chickens are creatures of the forest floor so a forest floor-like environment in their run is a good imitation of nature for them. :)

I've never had mold in my run except when I had a feeder knocked over. Not even in 2020 when we had multiple tropical storms drenching us.

Thanks! Does it take awhile to decompose, or do you have to change it out alot? I've been just raking the pine shavings from the inside Coop into the outside run, but I guess there's not enough of it since the run is three times the size of the coop.
I never changed it out I just add more when they scratch it up. I’ve had no odors or problems

Thanks! Does it take awhile to decompose, or do you have to change it out alot? I've been just raking the pine shavings from the inside Coop into the outside run, but I guess there's not enough of it since the run is three times the size of the coop.
Pine straw lasts a while.

A good deal longer than straw but not as long as wood chips.

In the wild chickens are creatures of the forest floor so a forest floor-like environment in their run is a good imitation of nature for them. :)

I've never had mold in my run except when I had a feeder knocked over. Not even in 2020 when we had multiple tropical storms drenching us.
Great! Going to rake up tomorrow! I've been raking the inside coop pine shavings out into the run but I guess it's just not enough. I have a dust bath of river sand, actually Creek sand, for my girls using a Little tikes turtle sandbox with a lid so I can cover it when it rains, and I soak my chicken feed every morning for the chickens in the summer to give them extra fluid. The pans are not left down in the coop so there's no food spoilage and smell from that thank goodness. I also have a poop board underneath the roost and I clean that off every morning. It's just been in that one spot at the very back that's been bothering me. I'm going to try to take care of that tomorrow how thick do you think I should layer the pine needles, and how quickly do they decompose? Thanks so much for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom