SandHill Preservation review

I had 2 bad experiences with Sandhill and won't be ordering from them again.

The first time I ordered dark/white campbells. None of my preferred shipment dates were met due to problems with hatching the white campbells. When I finally received a shipment of approx 12 campbells I ordered 7 were dead (all but one of the white ones). I proceeded to lose them all-not sure what was wrong with them but they just keeled over one by one. The worse thing is I had other ducklings I was raising at the time and I lost most of them after receiving the shipment, and they had previously been thriving. A coincidence perhaps? I think not.

Naively, I decided to give the vendor the benefit of the doubt and ordered again in 2016-I really wanted some white campbells and they are the only hatchery I know that sells them. Again I had order delays. I finally called to see what was the status-problems with the white campbells again. They had a big order to fill for the white campbells that week, but if they didn't have enough for it, they'd send my order out. i told the lady I spoke to that the white campbells were the reason for my order. I was very excited when I received notification of shipment the same week.

I opened the box with anticipation. I had ordered 5 white campbells, 5 dark campbells and 5 assorted runners. Much to my dismay in the box were: 9 dark campbells, 2 live runners and 3 dead runners. No whites were even shipped and I was shorted a bird. I submitted a request for refund for the missing birds and dead runners and expressed my disappointment with the shipment. My assorted runners consisted of 4 fawn & white, and one white runner, in my opinion not much of an assortment. I had ordered the runner assortment as some of the rarer runners are only offered in that group. I can get fawn and white any day of the week!

I received my refund with a nasty note saying that they do their best and I wasn't very appreciative and should have been happy with what I did receive and that they wouldn't be sending any white campbells in the future. I believe that by the tone of the letter that perhaps they might have planned to ship me the white campbells later in the year? No note like that was included in the order I received so how was I to know? They thought I should have been happy receiving extra dark campbells. My true feelings was that it was a hassle to have extra birds I didn't order that I now had to raise and rehome.

So I've given up on white campbells. This year I'm ordering from Johnson waterfowl.
I know they do their best but IMO, they don't have enough people to do what they do. I don't know how you should be happy if you don't get what you order.

I've bought from them once and overall was happy with the birds. I bought their fall mix which is whatever is still laying and hatching at the end of the season. So I had no idea what to expect. They sent 54 birds and only 2 arrived dead so that wasn't bad.
They listed all the breeds they sent but there were a couple errors in their list. There were some black birds that I couldn't identify till they matured. They turned out to be Black Leghorns. Nice birds but they weren't on the list.
There were 3 Sicilian Buttercups, 2 pullets and a cockerel. But they all had slipped tendons. They were the only birds with any issues and I thought it was odd that out of 52 birds, 3 had slipped tendons and they were all the Buttercups, so I called and e-mailed them to ask if they had an issue with the legs on their buttercups and go no reply.

Well my fiirst possible date is may 2 2017,i ordered 10 scots dumpy, 5 mottled java, 5 exquecher leghorn, 5 cream branbanters, and i hope they call me ,because i work and i need a day off the day they come, i assume if my first possible day is may 2 they will arrive on the 3 , i already taljed to my boss , so im offt may 2,but i didnt think i sure ask may 3 , not may 2

Let me know how you like the scots dumpy chickens. I almost ordered some several years ago. I then thought that they may not be mobile enough since I free range all the time with no protection.

IMO theyre getting to be a joke. But the joke has been on me.
Worst customer service Ive ever seen.
Great selection of breeds listed but doesnt seem like many are ever available.
I had two outstanding orders from last year at this time.
I finally got contact with them to hear that nothing would be available for me this year.
I tried to change one order but everything I was interested in wasnt available. That order was for orpingtons and sussex. I finally agreed to BBS orpingtons. Not that I needed any of those colors but I wanted to at least get something from them.
My order shipped the following week. Almost 12 months to the day that they confirmed my orders.
I recieved my chicks last week. 25 bbs orps and one extra.
Out of the 26 I got 1 splash DOA, 2 blues and the rest blacks. 1 blue and at least 2 blacks arent orps. They have feathered legs. Appear cochin.

I bought bbs cochins from them last year and im less then impressed with how they turned out. They look pretty nice but are small like hatchery stock.
Three years ago I also ordered from them. Those birds all turned out to be far less then expected quality wise too.

I jumped through all their hoops, put up with there lack of communication and delays after delays because they have some interesting breeds and they sound better then average quality wise.
Ive now come to the conclusion that their birds are not the quality they advertise and it doesnt matter what they list if they never have them available.

Now I need to decide what to do with my last order. I would just have my money returned but have a feeling that would end up being a pita like every thing else has been with them.

IMO theyre getting to be a joke. But the joke has been on me.
Worst customer service Ive ever seen.
Great selection of breeds listed but doesnt seem like many are ever available.
I had two outstanding orders from last year at this time.
I finally got contact with them to hear that nothing would be available for me this year.
I tried to change one order but everything I was interested in wasnt available. That order was for orpingtons and sussex. I finally agreed to BBS orpingtons. Not that I needed any of those colors but I wanted to at least get something from them.
My order shipped the following week. Almost 12 months to the day that they confirmed my orders.
I recieved my chicks last week. 25 bbs orps and one extra.
Out of the 26 I got 1 splash DOA, 2 blues and the rest blacks. 1 blue and at least 2 blacks arent orps. They have feathered legs. Appear cochin.

I bought bbs cochins from them last year and im less then impressed with how they turned out. They look pretty nice but are small like hatchery stock.
Three years ago I also ordered from them. Those birds all turned out to be far less then expected quality wise too.

I jumped through all their hoops, put up with there lack of communication and delays after delays because they have some interesting breeds and they sound better then average quality wise.
Ive now come to the conclusion that their birds are not the quality they advertise and it doesnt matter what they list if they never have them available.

Now I need to decide what to do with my last order. I would just have my money returned but have a feeling that would end up being a pita like every thing else has been with them.

They just don't have the manpower to do what they're attempting to do with all the species/breeds/varieties as well as the corn, potatoes and other vegetables.

I'm only one person and it is a challenge to do justice to a single breed. You need a huge staff to properly maintain quality in virtually every breed of chicken, turkey, duck, goose, guinea and quail in the country.
It makes me wonder what their breeding pens look like. I can't imagine keeping hundreds of breeds separate with enough stock of each to maintain, let alone improve quality.
I was tempted to buy some Black Penedesencas from him but a couple friends got some and they were of poor quality and worse yet, some had 5 toes. I still can't imagine how that happened.

Well they didnt call me today , next arraving day is may 16, i just have to wait

I'm also hoping for a call tomorrow, waiting on two orders, one waterfowl and one chicks. This will be chick's projected shipping date. The waterfowl's original projected shipping date was 4/4, so they're over a month overdue at this point. Hopefully this week though.

Back
Top Bottom