SandHill Preservation review

You reminded me that I never came back on here to tell how my 2018 Sandhill chicks turned out.

My Mille Fleur Leghorns were a complete dissapointment. Not a single one had the mille Fleur color pattern. One cockerel seemed like his color was close, and I was going to hope that the 2 pullets I got were at least split to the necessary genes. So I thought I might get some Mille Fleurs in the next generation. But unfortunately, since I was letting them free range, the good cockerel flew into the neighboring property and got killed by their dog. That left me with a trio that I didn't feel like working with, so I sold them on CL as "mixed color Leghorns". I still have their photos on my phone:
View attachment 1670115 View attachment 1670116 View attachment 1670117

Then as to the Redcaps, I think the males ended up ok. (I don't have photos at the moment.) They are small birds, but I think that's the fate of Redcaps in general in the U.S. They look like typical black breasted red males, with a little bit of lacing on them.

But the females. I ended up with four, but one doesn't count, because she is solid white! So I can't use her, and she makes me afraid that more white will be lurking in the rest, and I can probably expect the odd white bird to always turn up. The 3 colored birds are all different than each other, and I'm not sure if any of the 3 are correct. I'll just have to study up on it, and figure out which one is most correct to go forward with.

So in the end, my opinion became such that I will not be ordering from Sandhill again. It seems like their birds turn out all mixed up. You probably have to resort to mixing things up to save them from extinction. But I don't think they should be sold as pure breeds if they are still in the project stage. Or maybe they had a lot of "oops" breeding that they weren't aware of.

I'm real sorry to hear about his wife's health. That is a tough thing to have to deal with, and it can really ruin folks' ability to carry out their plans and their vocation. I hope she will recover well. That's more important in my book than chickens.
Email him. I emailed him about my blue JG. THEY are not JG. He said he will replace them. My order was done the day his wife ended up in the hospital ICU. Can’t hurt to tell him. I am pretty sure he has breeding cages.

I placed a waterfowl order with them this past week, 5 Black Magpies, 5 Blue Magpies and 5 Welsh Harlequins, as well as a couple listed subs. Hopefully I get what I ordered.

Footnote: sandhill has offered to replace my last years oder of blue Orpingtons. 10 chicks. They are going to fill the box with 15 random chicks when they send them. He thinks it I’ll be the end of May. I really don’t need any more chickens. But if he is willing to do it I will not say no. We shall see. I do admire their goal of preserving heritage breeds. With this Newcastle virus spreading through calif who knows what will happen.

I find their website confusing but thanks for sending me the link . Any clue where I can find their vaccination policy?
it is on the link
upload_2019-3-27_17-58-36.png

Back
Top Bottom