Sanford, NC family fined $1300 day for chickens!Update She Found US!!!

Sanford Herald

Comment on a poll
Suggest a poll

Here is the poll stats as of 10:44 p.m. I just voted yes for you Alex. Keep your chin up. I think you got this thing in the bag.
smile.png

PulsePoll : Sanford Herald
Should the City of Sanford allow chicken coops on residential properties within the city limits?

Yes
87.3%
No
12.7%
102 votes - Sanford Herald

Should the City of Sanford allow chicken coops on residential properties within the city limits?

Yes
86.9%
No
13.1%
107 votes - Sanford Herald

I voted!!!

Sanford Herald

Comment on a poll
Suggest a poll

Yes
87.2%
No
12.8%
109 votes - Sanford Herald
You have already voted in this poll...

I tried again, no go

I voted yes, of course
smile.png

I'm so glad you are fighting this, Alex. Chickens should be in every backyard of those that want them and can take care of them.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Ladies & Gentlemen:

In this day and age of economic and ecological chaos, it would seem that our local officials would be finding ways of helping citizens save their families, rather than creating additional hardships. For example, it appears that the City of Sanford is prosecuting and persecuting the family who keeps chickens in their backyard, rather than taking the current financial environment into account.

Prices are getting higher and higher everywhere and families cannot afford their mortgages, rent, gas, food, utilities......why would the town not re-examine the pros and cons of the few things that CAN be done by individual citizens to help themselves? The major issues facing our nation have to do with MONEY....we can't afford the cost of living; FOOD SAFETY...we STILL don't know if the tomatoes were tainted or not; ENERGY...it affects the cost of everything, including our food supply. So, it seems that families who want to use alternate sources of energy, recycle, use energy conserving methods, and cultivate their own sources of food...including egg production, should be encouraged.

I live in Suffolk County, Long Island, New York, a highly populated suburb considered an easy commute to New York City. I am permitted to have chickens in my backyard. As a matter of fact, a New York newspaper actually ran an article supporting the concept of more New Yorkers owning a few chickens, ducks, etc. Have you even considered the real pros and cons of this ordinance?

Let's see.....pros....egg production (fresh and organic), creating one of the best fertilizers available for vegetable production (chicken poop), teaching children responsibility and respect for animals and the life cycle (with so many kids killing kids...who couldn't use a few more lessons in respect for life?), small amounts of economic relief.....I can think of others, but these are the most obvious.

Cons....it is against your rules. Noise? Well, hens are not noisy and you can always limit roosters. "Unsightly coops?" That's like saying that those large windmills are "unsightly." Let's just ignore the energy crisis and we can all die with "pretty, tasteful" neighborhoods. I can't think of anything that is truly legitimate to discourage allowing backyard chickens.

I actually had been considering a move to North Carolina or South Carolina, but if this is an example of how government runs in the south, I might as well stay here in New York, because at least we're working on cleaning up our government. Government is supposed to represent THE PEOPLE's best interests....please remember.

Nancy Shuster
235 Old Willets Path
Smithtown, NY 11787
[email protected]

Quote:
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
BEAUTIFUL NANCY!! ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

Please tell me you sent that to their email?!!?

My email was "okay". Your message was truly an inspiration! I would love to read other people's email to the city!

I also noticed they just changed their poll question to add ".. in city limits".. LOL. I guess the overwhelming "YES" was making them worried.

-Kim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom