Sapphire Gem Opinions Please!

Bear4boo

Songster
Jun 10, 2022
Midwest
We are considering getting a couple of sapphire gem chicks. For those of you who have this breed, do you recommend? We live in Wisconsin.

Attachments

• IMG_1246.jpeg
    IMG_1246.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 47
I picked up a Sapphire Gem chick 2 years ago from my local feed store. Wouldn't you know it, even though they are sex-linked, I ended up with a rooster :p He was an extremely good rooster to his flock. He died protecting them from a coyote last year.

So while I can't say anything in regards to their egg laying, ect, I can say that the Sapphire Gem roosters are great birds.

I have 2 sapphire gems !
One is super talkative and she lays HUGE eggs almost everyday. The other one is so smart and sweet, she is actually my favorite 🥰 she also lays almost everyday.
As far as the weather goes they do great in the warm weather but one had frost bite on her comb (very small spot)
I love them tho! Very glad I got them.

I have 2 sapphire gems I got in ApriI. They haven't laid yet. I have had one before. The egg is big. I hear they are egg layers that don't live a real long time. Mine are about as friendly as a leghorn also.

Sapphire gems are production hybrids, bred to lay a lot for a few years, then either stop laying completely or get a reproductive disease and die. I’ve heard that they’re nice friendly birds, though I haven’t had one myself. If the one in your photo is one you’re thinking about getting, I’d advise against it. That little guy looks like a cockerel, with barring on his feathers. Hens are all blue, and the roosters are barred, that’s where the sex-linking comes in.

Back
Top Bottom