Sapphire Gem question

awagnon

Songster
11 Years
Dec 3, 2012
Gainesville, TX area
For those of you who have raised Sapphire Gems for a while. Do they go broody at all? I have two that were hatched in March, so they are still young. They are not showing signs of broodiness, but I was wondering if they did and made good mothers. The other breeds in my flock are not known to be broody from my research. Was just wondering if SGs were a breed, though a hybrid, that tended to go broody.

Broodiness is up to the individual bird, though I think that one half of the birds that go into them, the plymouth rock (I think) are good broodies.

For those of you who have raised Sapphire Gems for a while. Do they go broody at all? I have two that were hatched in March, so they are still young. They are not showing signs of broodiness, but I was wondering if they did and made good mothers. The other breeds in my flock are not known to be broody from my research. Was just wondering if SGs were a breed, though a hybrid, that tended to go broody.
My Sapphire Gems are going on 3years old, so far really no broody tendencies, but every hen can be different.
Good egg layers though, very Sweet Girls too.

I have two SG girls in my flock of 6, Luna and Ruby. Ruby is markedly larger than her sister tho they were hatched the same day. Thanks for the information on broodiness tendencies. These girls are SO different. Ruby very sociable and eats from my hand. Luna, is def a "you may look at me but don't even THINK about touching me" kinda girl. Once I have her caught, she's pretty docile, but it's getting her picked up that involves LOTS of running, bending, cornering and sometimes utter frustration. She runs up to me when I go into the run, but if I bend over or lean her way, she's outta there! So strange because when they were in the brooder, she's the first one who would run to my hand when I reached in. How they change......

I have two SG girls in my flock of 6, Luna and Ruby. Ruby is markedly larger than her sister tho they were hatched the same day. Thanks for the information on broodiness tendencies. These girls are SO different. Ruby very sociable and eats from my hand. Luna, is def a "you may look at me but don't even THINK about touching me" kinda girl. Once I have her caught, she's pretty docile, but it's getting her picked up that involves LOTS of running, bending, cornering and sometimes utter frustration. She runs up to me when I go into the run, but if I bend over or lean her way, she's outta there! So strange because when they were in the brooder, she's the first one who would run to my hand when I reached in. How they change......
As they mature, they can change. I have some hens more friendly than others, I let them choose how "close" they feel they want to be. I only have a couple that don't mind too much being picked up, the rest are not that keen, so I leave them be. Only time I even pick those up would be for some type of inspection or if I saw something I was concerned about. I'm definitely not into chasing hens all over the place, I wait until they are roosting, then pick them up if necessary.

Sometimes when they come into lay they can become more friendly too.

Back
Top Bottom