Sapphire gem

Cap26651

Chirping
Jul 14, 2021
I recently bought a sapphire gem and her eggs are speckled “like a welsumer egg” is this normal? Or do I need to treat her for mites or diseases?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 36
Speckling is just extra pigment. If you're worried about mites they don't affect what eggs look like, better to pick up a few chickens and check their skin around the vent, belly, under wing, as well as crevices in the coop and the area under the roost at night.

Speckling is just extra pigment. If you're worried about mites they don't affect what eggs look like, better to pick up a few chickens and check their skin around the vent, belly, under wing, as well as crevices in the coop and the area under the roost at night.
Ok I only wondering over mites bc a google search. And if it’s normal can the spots come and go and come back? I have a snowy Easter egger. Sometimes it’s a solid pink egg sometimes here gets the same spot? Is it my feed I’m giving them? Or something free range? My chickens mostly stay in the woods more then the yard/field.

And if it’s normal can the spots come and go and come back?
Yes speckling can be inconsistent. Sometimes you might get a lot of speckles, other times none at all. I like them as they're visually interesting (same as having different colored eggshells), but of course it doesn't impact the taste or quality of the inside of the egg at all.

I think they're just genetically built into some chickens, which is why certain breeds are known for having a higher chance of speckled eggs.

Back
Top Bottom