Sapphire splash issues

edna564

Hatching
Jun 23, 2023
Good morning,
I have raised some sapphire splash pullet here in Minnesota from day olds and while I love the personality, I am having leg issues with them.
We lost the first one at a few weeks old, another pullet 2 weeks ago with a leg break and another limping and now this morning one of my nicest hens is also non weight bearing on one leg.
I did switch the feed 2 weeks ago from dumor to a locally milled feed, they do free range a couple of hours a day and have access to oyster shell if needed, not really eating that.
Has anyone else had leg issues with this breed?
I am sick over it as I think they are some the nicest birds we have ever raised.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Last year, several of us had leg/foot issues with chicks. A B-vitamin deficiency seemed to be at least a contributing factor. Some used a vitamin supplement in their water, some used "treats" high in B-vitamins. Some used both. Some used physical therapy with the vitamins. I found rice krispies and mushrooms were good food additives to make up the vitamin lack. For me, it didn't take long to sort out once they were getting the extra vitamins.

Most of the issues involved curling toes and/or lack of muscle strength. If bones are breaking, calcium may be part of the issue.

Last year, several of us had leg/foot issues with chicks. A B-vitamin deficiency seemed to be at least a contributing factor. Some used a vitamin supplement in their water, some used "treats" high in B-vitamins. Some used both. Some used physical therapy with the vitamins. I found rice krispies and mushrooms were good food additives to make up the vitamin lack. For me, it didn't take long to sort out once they were getting the extra vitamins.

Most of the issues involved curling toes and/or lack of muscle strength. If bones are breaking, calcium may be part of the issue.
Maybe vitamin b? Laying mash, bugs and oyster shell provided.
Thanks for the feedback.

Maybe vitamin b? Laying mash, bugs and oyster shell provided.
Thanks for the feedback.
I simply mixed generic rice krispies in with the crumbles/pellets. Went with those as they had the highest B vitamins for the lowest sugar and the birds ate them more readily than they drank the vitamin spiked water (they REALLY didn't like it).

Back
Top Bottom