Satellite Internet,..Is it worth it??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Up-the-Creek, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Right now I have dial-up internet service and I am not real happy with it. I have been looking at satellite internet providers like Wild Blue and others. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with satellite internet and what are the pros and cons of it???

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    No it is not worth it. The service can be sketchy at best, a strong wind, cloudy day, storms you have no signal. It is over priced junk. I have Hughesnet which is the same service as Wild Blue and it bites! You are limited on bandwidth usage and if you have a heavy bandwidth usage.

It is better than dial up but barely. I prefer using the 3G signal on my smartphone....it is lightening fast.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I have Windstream & I would HATE to go back to the SLOW dial-up.

4. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    Quote:my husband got for his rv it was hugest[ wild blue] it work great for 2 days on the third day he could not get on the internet. he call the company and they said that he used up his a allotment for the month. he said that dail up was better then hugest back then it was the middle price $ 69.00 in a month he went a bought a air card thur all tel it was unlimited band with back then, verizon bought it out. we still the unlimted data plan he is very happy with it. but no cell company now have that plan any more.
    the web site now days have a lot of bandwidth in it . so would you used up your allotment.

btw my husband still have the equipment in the garage for the last yr collect dust

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

If your only option is dial up or satellite then yes its worth trading up. Download speed is way better but it has a slow ping time so not good for fast paced online gaming.

If you compare it to DSL or Cable, satellite is junk.

6. harryg6167

harryg6167 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Kentwood
    I have had Wildblue for a year now and will never go back to dial up if I can help it.
    By the time I got rid of the house phone and dial up services it covers what I pay
    per month for wildblue service. I have the highest package
    which runs me about 89.00/month and my bandwidth limit is 17,000 mb. Over that it does slow
    down some, but still nowhere near as slow as dial up.

7. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Well I am thinking it would be sketchy so to speak, because when we had satellite service for TV,.it sucked. If it rained,..there went the signal,.if it snowed or if the wind blew. It is all so aggrivating [​IMG] . I figured it up today and between the landline phone and the dial-up service I am paying out a pretty penny, and for what?? I don't even use the phone! Anytime I am on here it takes literally forever to do anything, can't post pictures, no downloading music or video,... [​IMG] I guess I could move,..[​IMG] (just kidding,.)

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

It's better than nothing, but that's about it.
    My sister's bf has it, Houghs net I think it is, and she stays with him. She visits the library or our mom's house to do any downloading.

I remember dial up, it wasn't THAT bad. When we had dial up we "multi tasked" by clicking a link and then going in the other room to do something while the page loaded. LOL Now we have cable and we "multi task" by using several tabs or browser windows. [​IMG]
    I hear ya on the expensive part though. We keep a landline because DH doesn't have a cell right now, and using 1 minute of long distance (to call the same county!!!!) cost about $5 on my last bill.......[​IMG]

9. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    just depends on your area, and who provides the service. I had a previous boss who has Wild Blue and his service came out of a neighboring city...at the time (and its been a while) and that they charged for everything when something went wrong because the bought the equipment. Now my neighbor has wild blue and she had problems with customer service for a while, but thats been a year or soa nd she still has it so she must have gotten things resolved. Wild Blue satallite is a sky sattelite. My internet service is satellite, but, its a ground satellite, which means it is like your cell phone service, run off of towers placed around the country. My neighbor pays about $50 a month for hers (the cheapest) and mine is just as fast at $25. plus my equipment is rented so so if they have to replace damaged line or something, I only get charged for a house call, not products. Not tower satellite is IFFY, as trees and metal building can interfer with the signal.
    Its still better than dial up, however, if I was to go back in time, I would now be turning toward Verizon, as they are wireless internet you can get for your laptops and such.

10. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    I have Wild blue, love it. Have never had a problem with the service or equipement (three years), we get lots of spring time storms and for it to be bad enough to block it, you wouldn't be on the puter anyway, you would be in the storm cellar. Have sat. tv also, when we first got it about 10/12 years ago, one cloud would block it, now it is the same, almost never goes out and if it does, you are taking cover! Tons faster then dial up , if that is what you are used to you will think it is lightning fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by