Saving wild quail eggs. . .

ShellyBear

Songster
9 Years
Jun 10, 2010
I have no idea what kind of quail eggs we have, but we have 4 of them. I live in Washington so maybe that will help me figure out what kind they are. When we got them they seemed to be around 7 days old, now they are 16 days old. I am curious though because no light can be seen through the egg except the air pocket. . . .when should I stop turning these guys, and are they older than I think?

They might be Valley quail. Incubation takes about 22 to 23 days. If you guessed right then stop turning in 2 to 3 days. Good luck

The eggs are a bit bigger than a coin but tipped, they are heavily speckled in blotches of brown and light brown. I live in Washington

Ok, like what Gamebirdsonly said, I'm also leaning towards Valley quail. In Washington, there are two quail species in the wild I think - Mountains and Valleys. Mountain quail eggs are entirely cream colored and do have not have any markings. Your description of the eggs matches that of the Valley quail.

Ok, well I got a new incubator just for them today. . .spoiled babies lol. Hopeing a few make it at least. Thanks everyone!

Well only 3 hatched. . .but that's ok. Yes it can be illegal, but I'm not sure anyone is going to truly freak out about it. We don't do this often, this is actually the first.

Back
Top Bottom