Savory Yeast Egg Breads

Grapefruit Moon

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Would anyone like to share a favorite yeast risen bread recipe that calls for eggs. I would love to try some new (not sweet bread) recipes, and use some eggs at the same time.

Does any one know how adding extra eggs will change to a bread from the original recipe?

Here is one of my most liked dinner roll recipe. I serve it with sauted garlic butter and honey butter.

DINNER ROLLS

1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup water
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons instant dry yeast
2 eggs beaten
About 5 cups unsifted bread flour
1 egg white mixed with 2tbs of water

Scald milk, stir in sugar, salt and butter. Cool to lukewarm.

Add water to large mixing bowl. Sprinkle in yeast, stirring to dissolve. Add lukewarm milk mix, eggs and 2 cups of flour. Beat with electric mixer until smooth. Switch to dough hook and continue adding flour until soft dough ball is formed. Knead for about 8 minutes.

Place in greased bowl. Cover with a damp towel and let rise in a draft-free place until doubled in bulk.

Punch down and shape into rolls, place in baking pan, and baste with egg wash. Let rise until double again.

Bake in preheated oven at 400°F about 12 minutes or until golden brown and done.

This is a really good challah or egg braid recipe.

Grandma Rosie’s Challah makes 3 large braided loaves
***very good
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup sugar (or honey)
1 T salt
1 cup boiling water
2 TB yeast + 1/3 cup warm water
1/2 cup cold water
7 cups flour

Beat eggs in a small bowl. In a large bowl mix oil, sugar and salt. Add boiling water to large bowl and stir until dissolved. Sprinkle yeast into a measuring cup with 1/3 cup warm water. Wait 5 minutes, stir. Add cold water to mixture in large bowl. (The stuff in the bowl should now be the right temperature to add yeast. If too hot, wait a few minutes; if too cold, put the bowl in the microwave to heat it.)

Add yeast to large bowl. Add eggs to large bowl, reserving about 1 tablespoon. Add flour 1 cup at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition.

Turn out dough onto floured board and knead for 5 minutes, adding flour if needed. Dough is ready if it springs back after being poked with a finger. Put back into bowl, cover with dishtowel, and put in warm oven (heated to 170-200, and then turned off) until doubled - about 1 hour.

Turn out onto floured board and knead for 1-2 minutes. Divide dough into thirds. Take one of the thirds, and knead for another minute. Form into 8-12 small "snakes" for knots, or 3 large snakes for braid. Place knots close together pinched-end down in greased round pan (I use Pam). Put formed loaves/knots into oven (pre-heated and then turned off, as before) for about 45 minutes. Remove from oven. Turn oven to 350.

Brush tops gently with reserved egg. Sprinkle with poppy seeds, if desired.
Bake for about 30 minutes (loaves) or 20 minutes (knots). Times will vary. Watch for moderate browning on top, but be careful not to allow scorching on bottom. Remove from pans, and put on dish towels to cool.

I use this recipe for making egg bread loaves, braids, or dinner rolls. It works for bread machine, or remove after the dough/rise cycle, shape and bake in a regular oven. "Challah" is the traditional name for the Jewish braided version topped with poppyseeds.:

Challah (Egg Bread)

Back
Top Bottom