Saw a Deer Hit on the Highway this Morning :(

Hi April...finally got dug out?
wink.png

Even here if you hit it and kill it you can take it for food...

The only thing I've ever taken out was a squirrel and I only got his tail...after I did my 180 to get back to him, someone else had flattened him.
sad.png

Yeah,squirrels are the worst. Deer will rush out in front of you, leaving little choice.
But squirrels - those little rodents wll dash in front, go back and forth a few times and just when you think it's come to its senses and has headed off the road.........pow! the littledevil runs back under your car!

I've gotten to where I just grit my teeth pray for the little sucker. Trying to evade tham is a sure way to get yoursell/b] in a wreck.

Quote:
that guy must have been a real idiot not to stop. you are so nice that you comforted that poor dog during its last few miniutes of life.

Thank you. I really stopped thinking I could get him to a vet but he was halfway done when I ran over to him.

Chipmunks! Oh my gosh they are the pancakes of the road I swear it! I've never hit anything in the road except a chipmunk (knock on wood).

The only time I hit something was when a chipmunk was running across the road in front of me. I wasn't going fast mind you, only around 50 km/h. He dashed across the road and I quickly calculated that if I went just a little to the right (not much, we're not talking swerve here, just steer a little bit), I would completely miss him. Nope, little bugger did a complete stop and gosh darn it, didn't I hit him dead on because of it....flat as a pancake in .5 seconds. Not a good way to go, but it was fast. I felt awful!

The only other times I've ever witnessed anything being hit was two cats on two different occasions. I stopped for both. One was just up the road from my place. The cat was in the middle of the road I can not believe the oncoming people did not see her because they drove right over her. She was rolled down the road a bit but was not hit by any of the wheels. She ran into the barn and I stopped and went in after her and let the people know what happened. The other time the cat was in shock and came round and ran away afterwards. I didn't actually see what happened, but there were a lot of people already stopped to help out and I think animal control was already on the way.

Sometimes I think a little more attention to the road and a little less cell phone chatting, instant messaging etc. would save a lot of critters from becoming road kill.

UC

Back
Top Bottom