Saw these pretty peas... WEIRD colors...

Kedreeva

Longfeather Lane
13 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Michigan
So, I went out to the Indiana Wolf's Creek swap meet this morning and I found a guy that was selling a solo peahen, a pair, and a trip of these oddly colored... purples? I asked him what they are and he told me "cameo" but one look at any of them, they were very clearly not cameo. The group of them were all uniformly the same weird coloration.

What's weird is that my first thought was that it looked like maybe WE was affecting the colors... but when I checked out the males' trains, there were no white eyes at all. None of them had white throat patches at all, or any white flights at all. I bought the solo hen just because she was so pretty, but I'd be curious to hear thoughts from here about the group.

So here is the hen I picked up (and all four hens looked like this)

And this was the (blackshoulder??) male (who was tagged as 3y/o if I recall):

There were two other males with barring on their wings, but another person was literally buying them as I was helping my mom get pics of this guy, so we didn't get any photos. But the barring was tan-brown and brown-brown and pale pale brown depending on the lightness of the feathers- not the "black" brown of normal IB. And like I said, no white eyes at all on any of them...

The pale feathers on all of them were not white- they were just very, very pale brown. I'm kind of kicking myself for not grabbing the BS male, but I didn't have the cash on hand to get them both :/

So, I went out to the Indiana Wolf's Creek swap meet this morning and I found a guy that was selling a solo peahen, a pair, and a trip of these oddly colored... purples? I asked him what they are and he told me "cameo" but one look at any of them, they were very clearly not cameo. The group of them were all uniformly the same weird coloration.

What's weird is that my first thought was that it looked like maybe WE was affecting the colors... but when I checked out the males' trains, there were no white eyes at all. None of them had white throat patches at all, or any white flights at all. I bought the solo hen just because she was so pretty, but I'd be curious to hear thoughts from here about the group.

So here is the hen I picked up (and all four hens looked like this)

And this was the (blackshoulder??) male (who was tagged as 3y/o if I recall):

There were two other males with barring on their wings, but another person was literally buying them as I was helping my mom get pics of this guy, so we didn't get any photos. But the barring was tan-brown and brown-brown and pale pale brown depending on the lightness of the feathers- not the "black" brown of normal IB. And like I said, no white eyes at all on any of them...

The pale feathers on all of them were not white- they were just very, very pale brown. I'm kind of kicking myself for not grabbing the BS male, but I didn't have the cash on hand to get them both :/

They all look like Purples to me. The Purples will get very faded from sun exposure and mine will look just like that. I'll post a picture of my Purple BS Pied, he has those really washed out looking feathers as well.

They all look like Purples to me. The Purples will get very faded from sun exposure and mine will look just like that. I'll post a picture of my Purple BS Pied, he has those really washed out looking feathers as well.
Gorgeous... every time I learn more about the purples, I end up loving them even more. The weird faded out colors is sooooo pretty!! And you're telling me it'll keep happening, which just makes me happier XD

Gorgeous... every time I learn more about the purples, I end up loving them even more. The weird faded out colors is sooooo pretty!! And you're telling me it'll keep happening, which just makes me happier XD

Yes it will keep happening, they will be darker after the molt when the new feathers come in, then depending on the sun exposure they will fade out over the course of the year.

Yes, they all are purple, maybe a spalding two, spalding purple black shoulder color is one of the prettiest colors in my opinion.

Yes, they all are purple, maybe a spalding two, spalding purple black shoulder color is one of the prettiest colors in my opinion.
I don't think I see any green blood in them, and I'm pretty sure the breeder doesn't own greens or spaldings (part of the reason I buy from him, since I'm not that fond of the greens or spaldings), but I have to agree that the couple of purple spaldings (even the barred wing ones) are some of the pretties peas I've seen. They win even me over with their looks!

Back
Top Bottom