Sawdust as last option

Thank you! Hmm, I could get a straw, I've been using it years ago but alone and it really makes the coop messy, can't last even 2 days... how could I mix it actually? Wouldn't sawdust just go through it? Should I add equal amount of both or 1 more than the other?

I know that straw isn't optimal, I find that it only lasts a month when used alone in my Deep Bedding system, but it is the traditional animal bedding. :)

I know that straw isn't optimal, I find that it only lasts a month when used alone in my Deep Bedding system, but it is the traditional animal bedding. :)
I have some red clover hay, would that be good? By the way, your link works now. I'll go through it!

Are we talking litter on the floor/poop boards or nesting material? Either way, aspen shavings would do (check the rabbit aisle) or maybe pine pellets - you can wet them down with water to break them down. How much water depends on how much you want them broken down - all the way would be sawdust, which is what I apply to my poop boards.
Not sure why on earth you would wet them down... The whole concept is that they expand when in contact with moisture, helping them dry. I use pine pellets in my coop and just put them straight in. They keep the flooring exceptionally clean, dry, and odorless, and break down to sawdust over time on their own. Breaking them down ahead of time would just shorten their lifespan imo.

Not sure why on earth you would wet them down... The whole concept is that they expand when in contact with moisture, helping them dry. I use pine pellets in my coop and just put them straight in. They keep the flooring exceptionally clean, dry, and odorless, and break down to sawdust over time on their own. Breaking them down ahead of time would just shorten their lifespan imo.
Why on earth
the whole concept

Thanks, Karen. Here's a video in case anyone else is curious:
https://woodpellets.com/horse-bedding/

Why on earth
the whole concept

Thanks, Karen. Here's a video in case anyone else is curious:
https://woodpellets.com/horse-bedding/

I wonder what the name is that’s used for people on the internet calling anyone a “Karen” that they assume is attacking them when that’s not the case, and they just read WAY too much into words on a screen 🤷🏼‍♀️

Read those words out loud for a sec... in one tone, you could read it aggressively and condescendingly. You could also read it like the person was wondering aloud... because they had never heard of that being done before.

Thanks for the name calling and the link though! Interesting that people do that with pine pellets 👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom