SAY WHAT??? Pet cornish X?

Quote:
Yes actually
big_smile.png

wouldn't a 5 ft tall chicken be awsome though???

Quote:
Well, they ARE meat birds. Their genetics are not geared for living a long time. So it's not unusual for them to drop dead even if you are being careful with them. So in general, it's not a great idea to try to raise them as pets.

That said, yes, they CAN be kept as pets and they can live out a few years. Kuntrygirl's got proof!
smile.png

Just follow her recommendations in to restrict their feed so they don't get too fat, give them plenty of veggies, and let them out to get exercise all day so they stay strong.

I love your trio!!
lol.png

I had one (long story...) and she lived just short of two years old. She was named "Fred" (before we knew it was a she) and her buddy was Ethel (red sexlink) who I got to keep her company. I knew nothing about chickens then and did the best I could. Well needless to say, Fred and Ethel didn't know they were chickens. Fred was the sweetest, cuddliest, big round ball of feathers you could ever meet! You could practically hear her walking
gig.gif
she was so big. Her eggs weren't huge and she mostly layed them in the spring and summer but she was priceless
love.gif

every chicken can ether have a good life or a poopy one. I think even cornish rocks, the breed born to die, diserve a non poopy one!!! That setuls it, next time I order chicks... I'm getting 1 or 2 cornish x's!!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
That is exactly what I am planning on doing. I bought them with some other chicks and they are all growing up together. I have read that they will eat themselves so fat that they cannot walk anymore. So I am hoping that they will not do this.

Well let me jump in on this one. 6 "meaties" were given to me by someone who had no idea they were meaties. Guess what? Here's a pic of 3 of them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/6612_byc_broilers.jpg

I was told that they wouldn't live past 8 weeks old. Not sure what happened but here are they 2 1/2 years later. They just had a dust bath. That's why they are so dirty.
gig.gif

I let them free range all day every day. I only feed them one time a day (in the morning). They get plenty of fruits and vegetables and they exercise when they run around the property running after bugs and other insects.

Who knew.

Edited to say that they lay double yoke eggs. They eggs are HUGE !

Just want to say thanks for your reply/post.. I love it when folks guess at something, and another have GREAT FACTS to backup their post.

Back
Top Bottom