SAY WHAT??? Pet cornish X?

CalebtheChicken

Songster
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Jeremiah, Ky.
Everyone acts like cornish rocks need to be killed before they can crow or lay an egg...

But then again I hear if let to free range they can live long happy lives...

What should I beleive?

Do a search there are lots of stories of them being really nice pets. Unfortunately almost all have unhappy/ untimely endings.
hmm.png

I don't know what I am going to do. I (stupidly) bought 4 Cornish X because I didn't know they were meaties. They love me and I love them now! I don't know if I can kill them!

Quote:
I would let them live as long as they could happily could, like I said, breeding for money not animal warefare

That is exactly what I am planning on doing. I bought them with some other chicks and they are all growing up together. I have read that they will eat themselves so fat that they cannot walk anymore. So I am hoping that they will not do this.

as long as you don't keep food in front of them, they shouldn't over eat. As far as I know. (I'm more for egg and orniment birds than meaties, though I do have nice little cornish frizzle
smile.png
)

Quote:
I would let them live as long as they could happily could, like I said, breeding for money not animal warefare

That is exactly what I am planning on doing. I bought them with some other chicks and they are all growing up together. I have read that they will eat themselves so fat that they cannot walk anymore. So I am hoping that they will not do this.

Well let me jump in on this one. 6 "meaties" were given to me by someone who had no idea they were meaties. Guess what? Here's a pic of 3 of them.

6612_byc_broilers.jpg

I was told that they wouldn't live past 8 weeks old. Not sure what happened but here are they 2 1/2 years later. They just had a dust bath. That's why they are so dirty.
gig.gif

I let them free range all day every day. I only feed them one time a day (in the morning). They get plenty of fruits and vegetables and they exercise when they run around the property running after bugs and other insects.

Who knew.

Edited to say that they lay double yoke eggs. They eggs are HUGE !

Last edited:
Quote:

Well let me jump in on this one. 6 "meaties" were given to me by someone who had no idea they were meaties. Guess what? Here's a pic of 3 of them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/6612_byc_broilers.jpg

I was told that they wouldn't live past 8 weeks old. Not sure what happened but here are they 2 1/2 years later.

I let them free range all day every day. I only feed them one time a day (in the morning). They get plenty of fruits and vegetables and they exercise when they run around the property running after bugs and other insects.

Who knew.

They look like some comety team on stage!
lol.png

Quote:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/6612_byc_broilers.jpg

I was told that they wouldn't live past 8 weeks old. Not sure what happened but here are they 2 1/2 years later.

Who knew.

They look like some comety team on stage!
lol.png

yuckyuck.gif

They are VERY funny when they take out running coming to the back door to get their treats.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom