SAY WHAT??? Pet cornish X?

Quote:
Yes it was a joke. I hope no one took that seriously.
gig.gif
I will weigh then to see how much they weigh.

Quote:
During a week's time, I get 5 - 6 eggs from each of them, so they make take off 1 or 2 days a week. Because they lay double yokes, and my customers know this, they specifially ask for the eggs that my meaties lay.

Quote:
I LOVE THAT clipart.. holy cow, you should do more and frame them! Maybe merch here on BYC

I agree. I love the clip are as well. That is way cool!!! Thanks for doing that.

Quote:
Well let me jump in on this one. 6 "meaties" were given to me by someone who had no idea they were meaties. Guess what? Here's a pic of 3 of them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/6612_byc_broilers.jpg

I was told that they wouldn't live past 8 weeks old. Not sure what happened but here are they 2 1/2 years later. They just had a dust bath. That's why they are so dirty.
gig.gif

I let them free range all day every day. I only feed them one time a day (in the morning). They get plenty of fruits and vegetables and they exercise when they run around the property running after bugs and other insects.

Who knew.

Edited to say that they lay double yoke eggs. They eggs are HUGE !

Just want to say thanks for your reply/post.. I love it when folks guess at something, and another have GREAT FACTS to backup their post.

Your're welcome. When I first got my meaties, I asked around and everyone told me that they wouldn't live long and I should process them and put them in the freezer. I just couldn't see myself doing that. I did a lot of research and there really wasn't a lot of research out there for this breed (meaties) in terms of how to prolong their lives due to the fact that they are bred and raised for consumption. So I took it upon myself to try to see if I could prove people wrong. I didn't actually put them on a diet. I placed them on a healthy lifestyle plan which included the fruits and vegetables. Now just let me say that I didn't spend a lot of money on fruits and vegetables. Because I am a frugal/cheap person, I asked family and friends to let me know when they have leftover vegetables or bruised fruit that was still good for consumption and I would get the fruits and vegetable from them. I also made contact with local fruit stands and local grocery stores being as though they throw away any and all bruised fruit and vegetables. I asked them if I could pick up what they planned on throwing away and they agreed to it. It was less trash that they had to throw in their trash cans. Now, I DO NOT give them rotten or bad fruits or vegetables. Everything is just bruised but still VERY good for consumption.

The feed that I feed them is laying pellets. I feed them one time a day and they always have fresh water available. They live with my New Hampshire Reds and Dominque's and they all get along fine. They only negative thing that I can say is that they cannot fly on the roosts to roost at night. I have milk crates that I have placed in the chicken coop and they fly/jump on the milk crate and then they fly/jump on the roosting board. The roosting board is not high at all. It's very low. Sometimes I will pick them up and put them on their roosts. Although they can fly off of the roosts, I try to open up their chicken house early enough, so that I can pick them up and place them on the ground so that they don't have to fly down and possibly break a leg or something being as though they are LARGE birds.

Most people would probably say that I'm crazy and that I'm wrong for prolonging their life because they are not bred to be a person's "pet". Well to each his own. My girls have a great life and they are healthy and happy. They eat well and have plenty of property to roam free, eat grass and chase after bugs.

It works for me.

It's unusual for Cornish X's to live that long, but as long as they are doing well, I see no problem with this at all. It's only keeping them alive if they are unhealthy and suffering, that could be seen as wrong. The long-lived ones mentioned in this thread seem like they're doing just fine.

I have had CX's that lived quite awhile, some hens I bought form a guy way back when I first started keeping chickens. I had no idea then what they were, they were just big. I treated them the same as my others, they free ranged and ate layer crumbles. They laid enormous brown eggs, lots were double-yolked.

Eventually, they started dropping dead of CHF. I don't know how old they were, they were already laying when I got the. I had them at least 6 months, but that was about 15 years ago, I don't recall exactly. When the last one showed signs of CHF, we decided to butcher her. She dressed out to around 15 lbs, so she probably weighed at least 20, live.

CalebtheChicken, she was nowhere near 5 feet tall.
big_smile.png
Not even close to 3 feet tall.

A lot of people have kept these birds to see how long they'd make it, usually because they got attached to them, and just didn't want to eat them. Results are mixed, some do pretty well, most don't live a whole year. Results will vary greatly with diet, climate, what strain they came from, how much exercise they get, etc.

Quote:
Yeah, but they don't get close to 30 lbs., (if I have my breeds straight, anyway) because they are kind of tall, lean, and narrow. With that odd upright stance that is typical of fighting breeds. I have read that Malays make good meat birds, though.

A chicken as big as an ostrich, would probably weigh about 3/4 as much as an ostrich, at least. Ostriches are more neck and leg bone, proportionately, than a chicken. A 7 foot chicken, (now that would be a sight, wouldn't it?) might even outweigh an ostrich, because they would not be as lanky. The chicken body is stockier.

Back
Top Bottom