saying goodbye to Ester.

mamabigbird

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2010
Vancouver Island, B.C.,
Ester would have turned six in June. A good age for a chicken, but an exceptional age for a sex link hen. She was my sweetest, best loved hen. (Don't tell the others, although I expect they knew). Ester was one of six, day-old chicks, that I hand raised. There is now only one survivor, Ol' Brown Betty and a motley crew of other younger hens. Unbelievable how much these funny creatures touch and enrich our lives. R.I.P. Ester

This thread is making me cry :'( some of my chickens recently died and it was the hardest time for me and this is making me go back to when that happen :'( I'm so sorry

Sorry to bring back sad memories. but they get wound in with the good ones. I have actually had five hens die recently. Three were ancient like Ester and two were younger. The most recent one was Matilda who was eight when we adopted her and was fourteen when she passed. She was a nasty mean hen but a hell bent broody. She hated everyone but just loved hatching babies. You just have to keep loving the ones that are still here and enjoy the memories of the ones that are gone.
Cheers.

Sorry to bring back sad memories. but they get wound in with the good ones. I have actually had five hens die recently. Three were ancient like Ester and two were younger. The most recent one was Matilda who was eight when we adopted her and was fourteen when she passed. She was a nasty mean hen but a hell bent broody. She hated everyone but just loved hatching babies. You just have to keep loving the ones that are still here and enjoy the memories of the ones that are gone.
Cheers. 
Thanks so much I've had 4 die recently, two of them were from a coon. It was the most worse thing to see it didn't take the hens with him he just left them there by the coop. Ours were not as old as yours. One was only a year old the others were two years old. I hope the best to you and the rest of your flock!
Cheers!

Oh my, what a terrible ending for your poor hens. Racoons are nasty and I've been lucky enough to not have to clean up that kind of disaster while grieving the loss. Yah. best wishes to you and your feathered friends.

Always sad when they have to go
We give them all and love them so
Time goes by as they grow old
Leaving many stories to be told
That's the final gift our pets have to give
Loving memories that will never grow old

Sorry for your loss.

1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62a.png
1f625.png
1f62d.png