Scab or infection

Quills

Hatching
Apr 30, 2017
We just got a new dog who has been a little to playful with our chickens (they are about 3 years old). This morning she got a hold of one of the bard rocks and did a little damage. She is a little lethargic but otherwise acting normally, and when I went to inspect further I noticed something f that looks like some scabs from a previous incident. This is the first I incident I have had and other than some mild vent gleet I have had a healthy flock for the last three years. Any feedback on if this is just some normal scanning or an infection that is setting in?
[/IMG][/IMG]

We just got a new dog who has been a little to playful with our chickens (they are about 3 years old). This morning she got a hold of one of the bard rocks and did a little damage. She is a little lethargic but otherwise acting normally and when I went to inspect further I noticed something f that looks like some scabs from a previous incident. This is the first I incident I have had and other than some mild vent gleet I have had a healthy flock for the last three years. Any feedback on if this is just some normal scanning or an infection that is setting in?
[/URL]
Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

Lethargy is not normal, it sounds like she is in shock. Separate her to a quiet, calm area so you can monitor her for a while. Offer some poultry vitamins or electrolytes, try to keep her hydrated. Make food available but don't force it on her.

Flush the wounds with saline or diluted betadine. Apply some triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to the wounds.

The "previous" wounds look like feather picking/plucking. Once she has recovered, observe your flock for any signs of aggression/picking especially during roosting time. Some hens can be picked on mercilessly. Not enough space and boredom are usually the main causes. When you have time, look us "boredom busters" you may finds some ideas to help correct the problem.

Keep us posted.

I just went and check on her, she is separated in another part of the coop. She is eating and drinking normally and laid an egg (which I thought she wasn't laying anymore). Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom