Scabs all over my chicken's face

Southstar

Chirping
Mar 21, 2021
South Florida
Hi, I just noticed that my bantam, Buttercup, has scabs all over her face. There is a picture attached. She's acting normal, eating, drinking, poops look good. I looked in her mouth and didn't see any lesions. She is in the middle of a molt at the moment. I have her separated from the rest of my flock. Our weather is extremely hot right now if that's a factor. If anyone happens to know what this is, I would be very appreciative of any help. What can I do for her? Thank you ahead of time!

Attachments

• IMG_7080.PNG
    IMG_7080.PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 44
If you separate her, the others may attack her once she comes back. It is up to you though. The others may well get some scabs since it is spread by mosquitoes. Chickens who get and recover from pox, are usually immune to it in the future. It may take 3-4 weeks for the scabs to go away. Here is a good article on fowl pox:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

No, I dont recommend separating her. It's possible infected mosquitos will infect other birds as well.
You can put iodine on the lesions. Avoid the eyes when using iodine. The iodine will kill the virus infective scabs and shrink them.
If a lesion is located near one of her eyes and she scratches it, put a small dab of Terramycin eye ointment or a small dab of Neosporin in her eye to prevent a bacterial infection in the eye.
The good news is that once your bird(s) recover from the virus, they are immune to that particular strain.
Eggs are safe to eat. The virus is not zoonotic to humans.

Okay, thank you so much for all of this information. It really helps and gives me peace of mind. I do have both iodine and Terramycin on hand, so I'll get to that right now. I'll put her back in the coop and keep an eye out for scabs on my other girls. Again, thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom