Scabs and funkiness on face - pics

TenTanToes

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 25, 2009
After being gone for a week over Christmas, we came home to our beloved Charla Kay (kids named her after my sister, a badge of honor) looking like this! She had a couple of tiny spots before, but it seems to have grown very quickly into this nasty looking stuff. When I was getting these pictures I noticed a couple tiny white bugs crawling around her face, so I'm guessing she has some kind of lice? What do I do?! Please help me, this is sad.

DSC_0002.jpg

The membrane over this eye isn't permanently closed, just so you know. She just blinked for the flash I guess.

DSC_0005.jpg

Carefully treat this hen and all your others for mites, either with Diatomaceous Earth or 5% carbaryl dust (Sevin). Dust the coop as well. Put antibiotic ointment (I use human triple antibiotic) on her cuts -- it looks to me like she did it scratching herself, but it might have been worsened by pecking by others. Isolate her until she is healed. Treat again for mites in a week to make sure newly hatched are killed off as well.

Sometimes I add an antibiotic powder to their water if they have an injury, so that they can better overcome any secondary infection from the scratches. Chicken feet are DIRTY.

Back
Top Bottom