Scabs or fungus on comb?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NatraLee, Sep 29, 2010.

1. NatraLee

NatraLee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    Austin (East Side!)
    Hey all,

My 10 chickens are doing well and seem mostly happy and healthy - they are about 5 months old and I recently got 3 eggs! Anyway, I noticed that my speckled sussex hen, Hot Toddy has black stuff on her comb. From looking at other pictures, it looks like probably scabs. But I wanted other trained eyes to have a look? My australorp Oprah also seemed to have a little black stuff on her comb - but not as bad looking as this. Scabs or should I get some anti fungal stuff? I'm a newby so help is appreciated.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6623146&l=3f169d9a39&id=768099119
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6623158&l=bfedbb02e4&id=768099119

Thanks!

-Lee

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I couldn't really tell for certain with those pics, but I think what you are looking at is fowl pox. Do a search here on BYC and you'll find lots of info. on it.
    Good luck to you.

3. dogdollar

dogdollar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    looks like fowl pox to me.....my flock just went through it; took about three weeks to clear. If it progresses to a "wet pox", meaning inclusion of mucous membranes, it can be a big deal...but even then it may resolve on it's own. I would suggest taking EXTRA special care that they have great nutrition and super clean water for the next few weeks. It took about three weeks for my flock to shed it. and I didn't lose one chicken, or even loss of production. There is no cure...it just runs its course and they won't get it again. The cause? Mosquitoes......
    It's very common in Texas.
    DD

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You don't really have to do anything about fowl pox; it is a virus and that's why there is no treatment. A lot of people put something on the black scabs, like Betadine. What can also happen is the lesion can get a secondary infection. I had one hen who had black lesions all over her head and they did get infected, and the others started pecking her head.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I don't know if it's pox or not because of the picture quality, but I am thinking it's not. Pox normally shows up all over the fleshy areas of the face, so your hen either has a very mild case of it or she has something else. Your girl looks like she may have peck marks on her and not pox. Either way, a little wound dressing would not be a bad thing. Neosprorin, Blukote or Bag Balm- any of these would work to protect the wounds from infection.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by