Scabs/spots on her face

berglundl

Chirping
12 Years
Aug 1, 2010
Meet Butter Bean, our Buff Orpington. She is 8 mo old, pretty consistent layer since early September. We've noticed these spots on her face and wonder if someone might help identify. Also, she left us a shell-less, smaller than usual egg this morning. Not sure if that's related, but we're wondering about that as well. I've only seen a shell-less egg one other time from a gal we had years ago. Please comment based on this information along with these 3 photos. Thank you. Lisa B
1EE5A790-070D-4CE8-90EC-C8401B2AACD0_1_201_a.jpeg
A063E723-1E8A-4C24-892A-2CED8BA79458_1_201_a.jpeg
5EED0515-87C2-47E6-AAF8-0918F9646E54_1_201_a.jpeg

She is the alpha hen, so I doubt that's the case but will watch out for any sign of that. thank you

Meet Butter Bean, our Buff Orpington. She is 8 mo old, pretty consistent layer since early September. We've noticed these spots on her face and wonder if someone might help identify. Also, she left us a shell-less, smaller than usual egg this morning. Not sure if that's related, but we're wondering about that as well. I've only seen a shell-less egg one other time from a gal we had years ago. Please comment based on this information along with these 3 photos. Thank you. Lisa BView attachment 1988233View attachment 1988234 View attachment 1988235
How long has it been going on and is it progressing at all? Anyone else effected? Any lethargy, or heavy breathing, change in appetite, or other symptoms?

If it isn't pecking injury as suggested by the other poster (the crusty nostril makes me think not injury), it could be fowl pox...
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

Sometimes shell less eggs are just a hiccup. But here is a good article with lots of information on the POSSIBLE causes... everyone of them practically says disease, so try not to jump to conclusions.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

If it is Pox... best treated by supporting nutritional health while it runs it's course since it is a virus that cannot be treated with anti biotics.

ETA: adding your general location to your profile can help folks make the best suggestions possible at a glance. ;)

:fl

Last edited:
Article on fowlpox
https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultr...MI1-fci5zU5gIVT9yGCh2R_AdKEAAYASAAEgJwjfD_BwE
If she is suffering from this condition, it's important to note that the scabs, which fall off in 2 to 4 weeks are highly infectious material. If it is at all possible, she should be housed in a 'Look, but don't touch', environment with/from her flockmates. This should help her maintain her pecking order within the flock while protecting them from possible contamination. All of her bedding from her isolation housing should be disposed of in a manner that will prohibit your other animals from coming in contact with it to reduce the possibility of them spreading her dander and infection after she's recovered. Once she's shed all of the scabs, you can reintroduce her back into the flock, taking the same precautions you'd use when introducing a new bird to the flock.

Looks like dry pox to me..and a fairly mild case.
It's viral, spread by mosquitoes, no treatment.
Not really a health risk.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-12-26_16-27-31.png

How long has it been going on and is it progressing at all? Anyone else effected? Any lethargy, or heavy breathing, change in appetite, or other symptoms?

If it isn't pecking injury as suggested by the other poster (the crusty nostril makes me think not injury), it could be fowl pox...

Sometimes shell less eggs are just a hiccup. But here is a good article with lots of information on the POSSIBLE causes... everyone of them practically says disease, so try not to jump to conclusions.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

If it is Pox... best treated by supporting nutritional health while it runs it's course since it is a virus that cannot be treated with anti biotics.

ETA: adding your general location to your profile can help folks make the best suggestions possible at a glance. ;)

:fl
Hey, thank you for the great info. I've gotten a couple of other folks on board and they also believe that it's Fowl Pox. Right now she is the only bird in our small 4-hen flock. My son noticed the scabs more than a week ago, and we haven't seen the lesions on the other 3. Not yet anyway. And, we're in Houston, TX along with gazillions of mosquitos! Thanks again.

Looks like dry pox to me..and a fairly mild case.
It's viral, spread by mosquitoes, no treatment.
Not really a health risk.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1988315
Thanks for the reply! Yes, others agree with you that it's Fowl Pox. I applied an ointment and will start tomorrow with sanitizing their waterers and feeders. I tried updating my Location, but got an error message. I'll try again. We're in Houston, TX. Thank you so much for the information.

Article on fowlpox
https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultry/fowlpox/fowlpox-in-chickens-and-turkeys?network=g&matchtype=b&keyword=+fowl +pox&creative=319107784497&device=c&devicemodel=&placement=&position=1t1&campaignid=1656615722&adgroupid=64799906798&loc_physical_ms=1011096&loc_interest_ms=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1-fci5zU5gIVT9yGCh2R_AdKEAAYASAAEgJwjfD_BwE
If she is suffering from this condition, it's important to note that the scabs, which fall off in 2 to 4 weeks are highly infectious material. If it is at all possible, she should be housed in a 'Look, but don't touch', environment with/from her flockmates. This should help her maintain her pecking order within the flock while protecting them from possible contamination. All of her bedding from her isolation housing should be disposed of in a manner that will prohibit your other animals from coming in contact with it to reduce the possibility of them spreading her dander and infection after she's recovered. Once she's shed all of the scabs, you can reintroduce her back into the flock, taking the same precautions you'd use when introducing a new bird to the flock.
This is good information - thank you for taking the time to reply.

I agree with most that this is a case of fowl pox. It usually goes away in 3 weeks. Scabs should not be disturbed, due to spreading the virus, and no ointment is needed. The virus may spread slowly over several months to other chickens by fallen dried scabs that can become aerosol and inhaled. There is a fowl pox vaccine that can be given to those who have not yet shown symptoms. There is a more serious form called wet pox that can cause yellow lesions inside the beak, throat, and crop, and trachea. Here is some reading:

Back
Top Bottom