Scale for weighing live birds

TimG

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Maine
My digital kitchen scale only goes to five pounds and the larger capacity scales are a bit on the expensive side. Does anyone know of an inexpensive option for weighing live chickens? I'm not real concerned about precision, something that measured to the 1/4 or 1/8 of a pound would be fine with me. Something like the produce scales that hang in the grocery stores would probably do the trick, though getting a rooster to sit in the bucket might be challenging. Not using batteries would be a plus.

Anyway, any suggestions?

lolol I bought some Doctor scales at my local GOODWILL Store and weigh myself holding the bird, then just weigh myself. And do the math. I was lucky to get these scales for $25. And can weigh to the tenth of a pound. But there are digital scales on EBAY for less that can do the same.

I use an old scale that is probably 60 -70 years old that was once used to weigh fruit and vegatables at a fruit stand. It hangs by a ring on top then I place a rabbit, chicken, etc into a bucket placed on a hook on it's bottom and presto, I have an exact weight up to a 1/10 of a pound. It has a capacity up to 30 lbs.

I was thinking about using a fishing scale, one of those used to weigh the big ole bass you just caught. They can be pretty inexpensive. Just tie a rope around the legs and hang the bird upside down and hook to the scale. Presto.

I went to Walmart and bought one of their $1.00 bags and to Cabelas and bought a digital fish scale.

Just put the bird in the bag and hang it from the hook on the fish scale and WA LA!!!

Quote:
Sounds perfect. You got any extras for sale?

I sure don't Tim, It was given to me back in @1961 when the stand whent out of business due to the owner's death. He used it probably for @20 years . I have weighted litteraly hundreds of chickens, ducks, turkeys, rabbits, and new born lambs with it on our farms. Still in use and accurate. 1" thick, 4" wide and 12 " long., even thaugh it now has rust on it from being out in the barns all this time.

After posting, I found some 35 LB digital scales on eBay that seem to sell for less than $25 (including shipping) which is less than a 1/3 what I recall a postage scale at Staples going for. The seller seems to have an endless supply, so I'll eventually be the auction winner.

I think second choice would be a hanging fish scale rigged up with some sort of basket. Probably would be first choice if the digital scale wouldn't also be useful for weighing packages to be shipped.

Thanks for the suggestions. Bossroo, I'm quite jealous of your old produce scale. I'll have to keep my eyes out for one at garage sales and flea markets.

Back
Top Bottom