Scale for weighing live birds

I ordered some supplies from McMurray a few days ago for a plucker I am planning on building and I checked into a scale, but I found 61 dollars was kinda steep, so I told my husband to go on the other computer and google potatoe/vegetable scale and he found the types of scales used in the produce depts about 20 to 30 years ago for a lot less money. Seems like my grandpa had one in his shed. I'll have to ask. Anyway they were anywhere from 28 to 40ish dollars. For some reason the poultry scales which seem to have less parts are more expensive.

I received my eBay special, digital, 35 lb, postal scale today. The directions warn against use in non-room temperature conditions. So, I'm wondering how accurate it will be when I go out to the 27 degree barn and weigh some chickens. I guess barn storage is also a bad idea.

Anyway, a word of caution if you are thinking about purchasing a digital postal scale for farm use.

I have one of those LED Digital thermometer and humidity guage. And I left it outside one day and forgot about it till it was really cold, and it bleeped out. Once it warmed up it worked fine again. Has to do with the LED read out I guess.

I have a hanging scale like this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97227

From which I hang a 5 gallon bucket, including lid. Tare the scale to include the weight of the bucket and the lid. Put the lid on to keep the chicken from jumping out. If you have really big chickens, use a bigger bucket.
big_smile.png

A bit off topic, but I started the thread, I guess I can hijack it...

What's the typical loss in processing? That is: typically what percentage of live weight is dressed weight?

Here are a whole bunch from Amazon.com . I like ordering from them because I value the comments previous customers make and the ratings they give items. They even have the scale scoops like at the supermarkets to weigh processed birds.

Back
Top Bottom