Scales leg mites?

ziglerheritage

Hatching
Nov 7, 2016
Hey out there! I have been fallowing backyard chickens and have a few questions about scaley leg mites. I adopted a friends birds, and they were severely infected with leg mites. Unfortunately I didn't know about this yet. Over the last year I have tried Vaseline, pine tar mixed with cooking oil, constant coop cleaning and disinfecting, dusting everything from top to bottom to also treat for regular mites and lice, I have 30 birds and it has been a lot of work as I read that one is infected you treat them all. The one rooster I got has scales like a dragon and I have treated him over and over. He is missing 4 toenails and a spur as result. That was before I got him but his scales are still looking nasty a year later. I have now got ivermectin to treat them. It is a drip to put in their beaks as treating 30 birds regularly has been so much work. Will this work? Is there a way to test if they still have them
1f612.png
I feel like the rooster with dragon feet should be separated and majorly treated for a while as he may be the culprit of carrying as he is such a severe case that treatment may not be killing the mites on him?? Also would i re- treat again with ivermectin in future to kill nits? Help! Trying to get rid of the buggars is a huge challenge! I have brahmas to boot
1f61e.png
What about mixing Vaseline with dusting powder and smothering with that? Will that increase the chance of killing?? How many days does it take for scaley leg mite nits to hatch? TIA!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC.

I hate to see you retype but your question might get a quicker answer if you post on the Diseases and Emergencies forum.

I, luckily, have not had to fight this battle but I think I remember someone saying that if you dip their feet/legs in motor oil it smothers the mites and I don't remember how often you have to repeat but I do remember them saying it takes a long time for the scales to heal up.

Good luck, and I hope you get some good answers.

You can use Ivermectin but you can't eat the eggs while treating. If you use Eprinex you can eat the eggs. If you google ivermectin for scaly mites it will lead you to an old thread from here that discusses it.

You can use Ivermectin but you can't eat the eggs while treating. If you use Eprinex you can eat the eggs. If you google ivermectin for scaly mites it will lead you to an old thread from here that discusses it.
Where did you read that you *could* eat the eggs if treating with Eprinex (eprinomectin)?

-Kathy

Thanks yes I followed those threads, shober, thanks though! I figure that since they are molting I will do it now. But what about rubbing their feet with dusting powder mixed with Vaseline? Or can you test to see if mites are truly gone? And do you re-treat in ten or so days with ivermectin to get any nits?

I had luck with ivermectin and Vaseline, although they were not bad, but I could see the scales separating. A gal at the feed store said she used a flea and tick spray directly on their legs, and Vaseline over that, which she said did the trick for her, retreating 5 days later, and then again 5 days after that. I have not heard of putting ivermectin on the beaks, I put it on the back of the neck. (The blue pour on). Good luck! If it's a nasty case it may take a few treatments......consistently.

Back
Top Bottom