Scaley Leg Mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by reba353, Nov 23, 2016.

1. reba353

reba353 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2014
    North Alabama
    I have a hen who has been acting sick lately, not moving and breathing loudly. I recently saw her legs looked funky but its hard to tell because they are feathered. Is this scaley leg mites? Could it be the reason she feels so down?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    That looks like scaley leg mite, but that shouldn't be causing the symptoms you're describing. It sounds like something more serious is going on with your hen.

1 person likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

4. reba353

Oct 13, 2014
    North Alabama
    It is almost like a gurgling breathing but there is no runny discharge in her nostrils or eyes or anything, she is eating pretty normally but I havent seen her drink. I will get more pictures tonight but I have been giving her sone tylan 50 cause I originally thought it was only respiratory.

5. ShanandGem

ShanandGem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2016
    I had two hens with scaley leg mites who acted depressed and lethargic. They were hardly walking by the time I got smart.
    I soaked their legs for several minutes in a solution of coconut oil, sunflower oil and a few drops of tea tree oil. I warmed the mixture slightly in the microwave first. I just did it once as they are skittish hens, and their legs still seemed sore for a couple of days but they are worlds better now. They roam around the way they used to and play fight with a little pullet I put in with them. Their legs look much better. I won't hesitate to do it again but for now I am just leaving them.

6. reba353

Oct 13, 2014
    North Alabama
    I was thinking of soaking thier legs in gasoline cause I heard that kills the mites the fastest. I am leaving to go back to school in a few days and my mother is unable to catch and medicate them while I am gone. Would this be okay?

7. reba353

Oct 13, 2014
    North Alabama
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is her in the bath

8. ShanandGem

ShanandGem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2016

While I'm sure it's effective, this seems toxic and horrible.

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by