Scalped Cockeral

Up date on Conner:
He's spent time in the coop the last three days.
Day one we kept his flock separate from the others and he was with his flock.
He got off my shoulder once and his "brother", Clyde, 'Roo butted' Conner. It terrified Conner, but the hen, Bernie, that came inside two weeks earlier tore Clyde's butt fluff up!! She chased Clyde away and when he attempted to come back b she flogged his face until he left.
She stayed next to Conner for 10 minutes before anther hen pecked at Conner's face.
Bernie chased her away and Conner jumped up on my shoulder and wouldn't get back down.
He visited for all of 20 minutes.
He's had nervous tics since then.

Day two Conner stayed for three hours in a cage inside the coop.
After two hours I let the other flocks in to see him.
They weren't veryvinterested, but both Phillip and Brooce put on a 'strutt and crow show for Conner'.
Clyde sat on to op of Conners cage and growled at anyone who came too close.
Guess Bernadette set Clyde straight. Lol

Day three was today and Conner stayed in coop with all flocks having access to coop for almost 6 hours with no cage.
He stayed up in the higher nest boxes and kept to himself with a few hens checking on him off and on.
Clyde got up with Conner once and pecked at the good side of his face but one of the older hens to hrew a hissy at Clyde, so Clyde got down and dug himself a dust bath hole under the box Cooper was in and slept there for quite awhile.

Conner still has tics occasionally, but they're getting less pronounced and not as frequent.
He still sleeps inside at night.

Conner looking pretty good and getting big fast!
IMG_20190108_202706.jpg
IMG_20190108_202720.jpg
Not spoiled at all!

Up date on Conner:
He's spent time in the coop the last three days.
Day one we kept his flock separate from the others and he was with his flock.
He got off my shoulder once and his "brother", Clyde, 'Roo butted' Conner. It terrified Conner, but the hen, Bernie, that came inside two weeks earlier tore Clyde's butt fluff up!! She chased Clyde away and when he attempted to come back b she flogged his face until he left.
She stayed next to Conner for 10 minutes before anther hen pecked at Conner's face.
Bernie chased her away and Conner jumped up on my shoulder and wouldn't get back down.
He visited for all of 20 minutes.
He's had nervous tics since then.

Day two Conner stayed for three hours in a cage inside the coop.
After two hours I let the other flocks in to see him.
They weren't veryvinterested, but both Phillip and Brooce put on a 'strutt and crow show for Conner'.
Clyde sat on to op of Conners cage and growled at anyone who came too close.
Guess Bernadette set Clyde straight. Lol

Day three was today and Conner stayed in coop with all flocks having access to coop for almost 6 hours with no cage.
He stayed up in the higher nest boxes and kept to himself with a few hens checking on him off and on.
Clyde got up with Conner once and pecked at the good side of his face but one of the older hens to hrew a hissy at Clyde, so Clyde got down and dug himself a dust bath hole under the box Cooper was in and slept there for quite awhile.

Conner still has tics occasionally, but they're getting less pronounced and not as frequent.
He still sleeps inside at night.

Conner looking pretty good and getting big fast!
View attachment 1636997 View attachment 1636998 Not spoiled at all!
Give them some time, but likely if you have 2 other cockerels besides Conner, they will eventually size each other up. Whether it will turn into an out and out fight or just a bunch of posturing is yet to be seen.

Have a plan for when that day comes.

Conner is looking good! Thank you for the photos and update.

Update on Conner:
Conner is fully integrated back into his flock again and has resumed head Cockerel position ( Clyde isn't too happy, but Bernie and Astrid keep reminding him that Conner is the cool Dude now, being the "roo who lived" *pun intended*).
This morning all flocks we're mingling in the covered run due to a hawk attack yesterday.
Conner didn't even get phased. He's excited to be a "leader of the pack" again :celebrate:lau:celebrate:celebrate:love

Thank you to all for the emotional support and great advice.
Our now "nearly headless chick" is back better than ever.
Pics to come later...

Update on Conner:
Conner is fully integrated back into his flock again and has resumed head Cockerel position ( Clyde isn't too happy, but Bernie and Astrid keep reminding him that Conner is the cool Dude now, being the "roo who lived" *pun intended*).
This morning all flocks we're mingling in the covered run due to a hawk attack yesterday.
Conner didn't even get phased. He's excited to be a "leader of the pack" again :celebrate:lau:celebrate:celebrate:love

Thank you to all for the emotional support and great advice.
Our now "nearly headless chick" is back better than ever.
Pics to come later...

:wee
This is just wonderful news!!!
I'm so glad to he has had completely recovered and doing so well!
You did such a wonderful job taking care of him and never gave up!
*not to mention giving updates and photos along the way! you really don't know how much those are appreciated!

Looking forward to photos!! :pop

Thank y'all for the moral support through this. I'd never imagined such a horrific injury healing so well!
He can see and hear out of that side now... It's amazing....
And we humans wonder why chicken broth, chicken anything helps us get over being sick....
Some serious stem cell regeneration stuff going on in the mini-saurs.

Back
Top Bottom