Scalped Cockeral

Yes he was an awesome rooster but he looked really weird his eye was gone and there was skin over where it used to be, he was deaf on that side of his head and there was skin over his ear, and he had no waddle on that side of his head.
Conner's eye healed and he could see I until this last attack.
He is still deaf in that ear, and his wattle grew back. We're very very lucky.
Do you still have the Roo?

Update on Conner:
He has his eye and sight appears to be in. His hearing is a bit off, but he definitely can hear out of injured ear!
Now to begin the slow reintroduction to the flocks.
Any advice or suggestions?
He's still firmly imprinted on me and is very comfortable with roaming the house during the day, even has his favorite roosts.
It'll be very interesting to see how he takes to the coop again .
My daughter brought in one of the 'A flock' hens, Harley, a couple of days ago for eye injury treatment. She was only in for an hour at longest; very polite young hen. She was as terrified of Conner as he was of her, and of course they both wanted to be close to me... It was almost funny the way they would switch off who was nearest too me. No fighting or growling went on, but poor Conner shook like a leaf and even had a few nervous tics. He'd sit on my foot twitching and whirring... He wanted held as soon as Harley was returned to the coop.
Sort of wonder if Harley might have been one of the ones who injured Conner. They say chickens can tell each other apart like humans do...

You may want to make him a separate pen in your coop so the rest can see him for quite a while while he finishes healing. He need to be strong and confident in order to not get attacked again. I personally wouldn't rush it and plan for it to take a long while. I tend to be over cautious, but for me it's better than being sorry.

Update on Conner:
He has his eye and sight appears to be in. His hearing is a bit off, but he definitely can hear out of injured ear!
Now to begin the slow reintroduction to the flocks.
Any advice or suggestions?
He's still firmly imprinted on me and is very comfortable with roaming the house during the day, even has his favorite roosts.
It'll be very interesting to see how he takes to the coop again .
My daughter brought in one of the 'A flock' hens, Harley, a couple of days ago for eye injury treatment. She was only in for an hour at longest; very polite young hen. She was as terrified of Conner as he was of her, and of course they both wanted to be close to me... It was almost funny the way they would switch off who was nearest too me. No fighting or growling went on, but poor Conner shook like a leaf and even had a few nervous tics. He'd sit on my foot twitching and whirring... He wanted held as soon as Harley was returned to the coop.
Sort of wonder if Harley might have been one of the ones who injured Conner. They say chickens can tell each other apart like humans do...
Glad to hear he has recovered so well! Thank you for the update:)

Would love to see some photos of this sweet boy too! I'm sure he's just handsome;)

I agree with @oldhenlikesdogs a slow integration process would be best since he seems so timid. As he matures he will gain confidence, but he's been inside for a good while now, so slow is the way to go.
You may even want to take him outside for several hours a day, if you have time, so he can be near the others. Lengthen the time he spends outside away from you.
Having a separate pen or cage where he is protected but can see everyone would be good. Depending on your set-up, you can let one docile pullet in with him as time goes by so he can be a little closer. One thing I have learned is to not rush or force integration, it all comes in it's own good time.

Hopefully all works out for you!
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock

Recent Conner pics:
IMG951242_01.jpg
IMG951245.jpg
Injury...big improvement in short time!

Back
Top Bottom