scalped! new, different issue page 4 post 39 will add pic

I have treated two chicks with this problem. I'm sorry I didn't catch you before you glued it.
sad.png
All you need to do is clean the area with sterile water (just boil it) and apply poly- or neosporin. One of my birds had no skin at all on her head, all you could see was bone. It took her about 3 weeks to regrow all of the skin and another 2 to regrow feathers. The second was stripped of skin down his back (muscle showing), his eyes were swollen shut, his face was horribly swollen, and I could not even find ears. He also had a small hole in his skull. I bathed him and applied polysporin. Both were given Gatoraid to help with shock and I upped the protein by feeding scrambled eggs and yogurt. I continued to apply polysporin daily.

The first chick has completely recovered. The second's vision came back and is currently running around and healing nicely.

Edited to add the link to my original post concerning the second chick I mentioned.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=501351

Last edited:
Aww I wish I would have caught you before you glued it. Suturing would have been inhumane without anesthesia or sedation. I would not have closed that wound, you really don't have enough to close with and its going to shrink and get really tight. Best thing to do is clean with some sterile water and leave it open. I hope your chicky does well, I will be thinking of her.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh...
sad.png
So sorry.

I'm new and have read about these attacks. Could someone please explain WHY they attack each other sometimes? Does something set them off? Pecking order disputes? So terrible...

This looks like what the weasel (or whatever it was) did to my girl yesterday! I'm so glad I saw this.. it gives me hope!

Quote:
What? I had stitches with no anesthesia or sedation and my doc was not the least bit inhumane....chickens are small animals and shock alone can kill them....so can sedation and anesthesia. They can tolerate far more than you are giving credit for....cutting into their feet to stop bumblefoot...done without sedation all the time and the chickens barely notice.

OP...good advice so far...keep them separated and up their protein and watch them. Make sure the neosporin does not have pain reliever in it...that stuff can seriously injure or kill them. You can also give them canned mackerel or salmon for protein boosting.

Those games would be headless if they were here. Poor babies.

Last edited:
Quote:
Sometimes pecknig order disputes or any other dispute...some birds are more aggressive and will pick on suibmissive birds bu tonce blood is drawn well it is on as they say. Chickens are cannibalistic and they will kill and even pick at to eat a dead bird. Remember you are dealing with tiny descendants of T-Rex...

My girls will kill mice and I have one SLW who kills snakes. They are wonderful pets but they are still animals.
smile.png

Quote:
Sometimes pecknig order disputes or any other dispute...some birds are more aggressive and will pick on suibmissive birds bu tonce blood is drawn well it is on as they say. Chickens are cannibalistic and they will kill and even pick at to eat a dead bird. Remember you are dealing with tiny descendants of T-Rex...

My girls will kill mice and I have one SLW who kills snakes. They are wonderful pets but they are still animals.
smile.png

Thanks for your reply. I inquired for practical reasons, although I probably sounded as if I expected morality from dinosaurs.
hmm.png

I just wonder if it can be avoided. I know they don't ponder and such, but I hope to not be faced with the gruesome reality. Awesome that yours kill mice! Must be the weather... they're running rampant on the land these days.

Quote:
True true, an MD wouldn't sedate a person or put them under anesthesia for sutures. BUT, you also wouldn't stress out enough to keel over either, or try to scratch and bite the one administering the care.
smile.png
I'm just speaking from a clinical standpoint I guess. If it came into a clinic, it would get masked down with anesthestic gas so the procedure could be done with as little stress as possible, just like a dog, cat, hamster, parrot, etc. I've done anesthesia on a parakeet that was getting a toe cut off, and it of course comes with the risk of any anesthetic procedure. He did great btw. I understand that many owners cannot afford to treat their chickens at the vet, and sometimes cannot even find a vet to administer such care, and I totally understand. I also understand that food animal medicine and companion medicine can differ, and things are done differently on the farm. It is just sometimes it is hard for me to check my license at the door (so to speak), so I apologize for ruffling any feathers.
wink.png

Honey is a good healer for damaged skin and they use it for large wounds in humans and dogs. I have used it on my dogs with great success if you can stop them licking off each other. Manuka honey is best. It stops infection taking hold and provides nutrients for healing to the wounded edges.

Back
Top Bottom