Scaly leg mite treatment - Do I have to wash their feet every time before I apply vaseline? And are the fallen scales infectious?

henspotter

Chirping
May 26, 2021
Pretty much as stated above! Is washing their feet and brushing the scales with a toothbrush necessary before I give them their vaseline treatment? Or can I just apply the vaseline after I wash their feet on the first day? My time is limited and I can only commit so much time everyday to washing and brushing my hens' feet daily because of the prep time. I know the scales falling off is important so I'm wondering if brushing them daily in water is crucial?

In regards to the second question - I am going to start the first day of treatment tomorrow and I know that the scales being gently brushed off in water is an important part of treatment. I know when one chicken has scaly leg mite they are all exposed and I'll clean out their entire coop tomorrow, but will I have to do a big cleanout daily with if their scales fall off naturally? Are the fallen scales highly infectious even more than just them being already exposed to the disease? I'm having a hard time forming my question, but hopefully you catch my drift. I thought I read somewhere that the fallen scales make them even more exposed you know like they shouldn't come in contact with those scales if you can try to prevent that? Or am I thinking of something else?
*^I'm also wondering because I will be quarantining one of my hens with scaly leg mite for another reason and whenever I've had to quarantine a hen before, I, of course, clean out their wood shavings and hay in the dog crate I keep them in, but I try to keep what I can to not have so much waste and save myself time and energy. If she's going to be shedding scales, I'm wondering if I have to do a full cleanout everyday?

Thank you so much!

You are over-thinking the problem.

When you brush the legs or feet, only do it ONCE to remove mite feces/debris, that's all. Then apply the vaseline on the legs/feet, and a very light coat on roosts, only as needed.
It will be an ongoing process to smother the mites on the feet/legs. The mites cant survive on scales since the tissue in the legs and feet are their food source.

Eventually the scales will flatten out and look clean. Old fallen off scales will be replaced with new scales. All of this will take time and have patience. Dont overwork yourself to death.

You are over-thinking the problem.

When you brush the legs or feet, only do it ONCE to remove mite feces/debris, that's all. Then apply the vaseline on the legs/feet, and a very light coat on roosts, only as needed.
It will be an ongoing process to smother the mites on the feet/legs. The mites cant survive on scales since the tissue in the legs and feet are their food source.

Eventually the scales will flatten out and look clean. Old fallen off scales will be replaced with new scales. All of this will take time and have patience. Dont overwork yourself to death.
Ah thank you for the helpful and sound words! Every time something happens with one of my hens, I do overwork myself and it definitely takes a toll on me so I appreciate the words and advice. Needed the info and to hear the rest of it, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom