Scaly leg mites on feathered feet

Do you have any pictures? Using vaseline or other oils applied to the skin and rubbing it in 1-2 times a week still could be done, even though it is messy. Ivermectin pour on 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight can be used on the back of the neck over the spine once and again in 14 days.

Two ways that I know of are using a kitchen or postal scale, or hold the chicken while on scales, and then subtracting your weight. With some chickens you can estimate a weight. Some average hens are 5 pounds five or take. Roosters or large breeds will weigh more, bantams may weigh 1-2 pounds.

267DA499-0D23-4F3F-977C-8B1BEFF211BB.jpeg

6C0B2075-FC62-4891-AB10-60C48478C3B6.jpeg

These are some poor quality photos of her feet. I went ahead and slathered them with Vaseline, since that is what we had in hand. If this is not scaly leg mites, please let me know!

Did you find out for sure if it was scaly leg mite? I have feather footed girls and it's hard to tell what's normal with big feathers coming out from under scales making them look like lifted scales! If you on anyone would be willing to post pics of healthy scales on feathered footed breeds it would be amazing. I haven't been able to find any!

Thank you! I will post a pic of my feather footed bantam (either the suspected foot mites). My silkies have feathers, too, but their feet look different (smooth, not rough).

Those actually look relatively flat and healthy to me. But then again, here's pics of the feet on the 10 year old Brahma I'm dealing with:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...mites-or-are-these-chickens-just-old.1449200/

Still unsure whether she just has gnarly old lady feather feet or if its mites. I don't see any of the crusting you'd normally see with mites on your girl or mine. So hard to tell with these breeds! I would also love to see healthy feather feet.

Back
Top Bottom