Scaly leg mites still not going away

Hi all, I have a flock of six female pullets (around nine months old). One of my buff Orpingtons has had scaly leg mites (diagnosed on BYC a few weeks ago) that will not go away. I have applied Vaseline three times now over the course of about two weeks but I have noticed no improvement- they actually appear worse. Her legs look enlarged, very red and irritated. Below are pictures. When I apply the Vaseline I rub it all up and down the legs, in between the toes, all the way up to the feathers. Is progress with scaly leg mites usually this slow? Should I be doing anything else? Thank you!

Attachments

• 4580.jpeg
    4580.jpeg
    1,002.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 4574.jpeg
    4574.jpeg
    780 KB · Views: 25
  • 4566.jpeg
    4566.jpeg
    769.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 4570.jpeg
    4570.jpeg
    796.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 4564.jpeg
    4564.jpeg
    773 KB · Views: 32
The amoxicillin is an antibiotic. I would treat her with it as it does appear her legs could be infected with bacteria caused by the inflammation from the mites. In other words, I suggest using both the Ivermectin and the antobiotic to treat your chicken.

Fish and chickens can get the same bacteria attacking them, so it's effective on chickens. I've used fish meds on my flock for over a decade and they work fine. The are usually given orally unless specified for dilution in water.

Penicillin will work fine. You will need to obtain a hypodermic syringe to administer it.

Fish and chickens can get the same bacteria attacking them, so it's effective on chickens. I've used fish meds on my flock for over a decade and they work fine. The are usually given orally unless specified for dilution in water.

Penicillin will work fine. You will need to obtain a hypodermic syringe to administer it.
Thanks. I got the penicillin, ivermectin and Vaseline ready to go for tomorrow. I think I'm going to apply it all at night when she is roosting.

My tractor supply has it! Thanks for the dosage information too. So I'll continue with Vaseline every few days and add in the ivermectin daily. You meant ivermectin, not amoxicillin towards the end of your post, correct? Or did you also mean I should get that too or instead of ivermectin?
No no no ivermectin is given once and then again in 10-14 days. It is NOT give daily.

You can try Ivermectin pour-on. It's a de-wormer that acts systemically to kill any parasites in and on a chicken.

There may be infection on her legs from the mites, so an antibiotic might be helpful, as well.

Ivermectin is applied on the skin on the back of the neck.

The dose is as follows:

One drop for tiny birds
Three drops for medium size birds
Six for heavy breeds

Repeat in 14 days

You can buy it at most feed stores or TSC can order it for you.

You van buy amoxicillin here:

250mg per day for 10 days.
My tractor supply has it! Thanks for the dosage information too. So I'll continue with Vaseline every few days and add in the ivermectin daily. You meant ivermectin, not amoxicillin towards the end of your post, correct? Or did you also mean I should get that too or instead of ivermectin?

Back
Top Bottom