Is this scaly leg mites?

IMG20210218121629.jpg
IMG20210218121618.jpg
IMG20210218121611.jpg
IMG20210218121607.jpg
IMG20210218121526.jpg
IMG20210218121547.jpg
IMG20210218121456.jpg

Some...others were quite uncomfortable being held up. Good thing I had some one to help. Out of 13 chickens that I did it to, about 4 were really uncomfortable, 7 that were okay with it, and 2 that were amazing with it.
Another pair of hands is always better.

I was plucking chickens off the roost one night to clip toenails. The first two were fine and the last one Lost. Her. Marbles. :rolleyes: Had everyone else in the coop worked up by the time I was done! Drama queen. :gig

It does look like a minor case. I use NuStock to coat the legs, but you could also use petroleum jelly, bag balm etc. If it's freezing where you are, I would wait until the weather warms up to do so.
Thanks for your reply! Does it look like all of the hens have this case of "mites" or only some? I will probably use petroleum jelly on all of them, but just curious which chickens you think 100% have it. So that in the future I could reference.

It looks like some minor lifting of the scales on the toes in the first picture. Second and sixth picture is hard to tell...looks about the same. Third and seventh pictures - scales appear to be lifting on the leg and toes. Same on picture four. Picture five looks to be the "worst". Not to say they are all SLM and maybe not some dry scales (or aging in older birds) in there, but I would probably slather them all up while you're doing it.

None of them look severe by any means. If you don't mind doing all, then it certainly doesn't hurt. If they are just dry, then they'll get some moisture. :) I would repeat treatment every couple days for a week and see how they are.

Any lifted scale could be SLM, but you may be able to see the crusty/mite droppings underneath the scales. Lifted scales don't always mean SLM, though.

It looks like some minor lifting of the scales on the toes in the first picture. Second and sixth picture is hard to tell...looks about the same. Third and seventh pictures - scales appear to be lifting on the leg and toes. Same on picture four. Picture five looks to be the "worst". Not to say they are all SLM and maybe not some dry scales (or aging in older birds) in there, but I would probably slather them all up while you're doing it.

None of them look severe by any means. If you don't mind doing all, then it certainly doesn't hurt. If they are just dry, then they'll get some moisture. :) I would repeat treatment every couple days for a week and see how they are.

Any lifted scale could be SLM, but you may be able to see the crusty/mite droppings underneath the scales. Lifted scales don't always mean SLM, though.
Thanks! I did all of them today and will do them soon later in the week. Also any advice on using petroleum jelly? I have no idea if I should be touching the jelly, it feels so awful on my hands. Any advice would be appreciated...if you have ever used petroleum that is.

Thanks! I did all of them today and will do them soon later in the week. Also any advice on using petroleum jelly? I have no idea if I should be touching the jelly, it feels so awful on my hands. Any advice would be appreciated...if you have ever used petroleum that is.
People have a lot of different views on it. Personally, I don't think it's going to hurt you. I would wear gloves because I don't want it all over my hands/wrists. I use NuStock and I believe it's advised not to get it on your skin, so I use nitrile gloves. Plus it's stinky and I prefer to handle birds with gloves, anyway.

By the way, I chose not to do the rooster. His feet did not look too bad. Plus I am afraid of touching his feet like that. And he is currently away from the others. He kept over mating 2 of the hens in our flock for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom