Scaly leg mites

For the next three days, I would suggest soaking his legs in warm Epsom salt water with a couple generous squirts of Betadine or other antiseptic wound wash added. Twenty minutes each soak. After the soak, dry the legs with a hand dryer or air dry, and spray Vetericyn wound spray on each leg. Use the Vetericyn several times a day, and continue to do so until the legs appear healed.

It doesn't look like leg mites, just inflammation from irritated feather follicles. There could be staph infection, as well. Avoid rubbing the legs, even with an ointment or oils.

Observe him over the course of a few hours and watch to see if he's pecking at his legs or if others are. That would definitely be an aggravating factor that would need addressing as it would prevent healing.

Also, if he's in a very dirty environment with a lot of build-up of feces (if it smells bad that means there is an overabundance of bacteria), the ammonia and feces can be adding burning of tissues and staph infection to the equation. If this condition exists, it needs to be addressed or he won't heal.

I can see the photos! poor guy! i don't know what to do and i don't know if those are mites but he certainly needs help.

TREATING SCALY LEG MITES (SLM) ~ WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
i don't know if he actually has them but if he does here's an article

For the next three days, I would suggest soaking his legs in warm Epsom salt water with a couple generous squirts of Betadine or other antiseptic wound wash added. Twenty minutes each soak. After the soak, dry the legs with a hand dryer or air dry, and spray Vetericyn wound spray on each leg. Use the Vetericyn several times a day, and continue to do so until the legs appear healed.

It doesn't look like leg mites, just inflammation from irritated feather follicles. There could be staph infection, as well. Avoid rubbing the legs, even with an ointment or oils.

Observe him over the course of a few hours and watch to see if he's pecking at his legs or if others are. That would definitely be an aggravating factor that would need addressing as it would prevent healing.

Also, if he's in a very dirty environment with a lot of build-up of feces (if it smells bad that means there is an overabundance of bacteria), the ammonia and feces can be adding burning of tissues and staph infection to the equation. If this condition exists, it needs to be addressed or he won't heal.
Thank you. The coop is very clean .. just 10 days ago we scraped the bottom clean. Put in 3 inches of sand topped with 3 inches of pine shavings. My roost has the table catcher under it so the heavy night time droppings are easily scooped out daily. It still smells very good in there so far. Hahaha
Between 6 to 8am we let them into the run. We have been in a drought so there is no mud, no water standing etc.. the run of course is bare dirt.. but it is pretty clean. The 2 areas they tend to hang in the most we do clean up occasionally and have wood pellets in those areas to help. We are in the ozark mtns so their run isnt flat it is on a slight incline which greatly helps when it is rainy.. makes it easier to keep clean. Since we just changed out the straw to a new floor in coop we also cleaned up the run that day... left them with less mess than the house.. hahaha. They are let out to free range 2 to 4 hours almost every day.. unless will be away to go to town or docs etc. But on that concern of being dirty, should i wrap his legs so dirt doesnt stick to the ointment? I have not used any betadine but epsom salt and ivory dish soap.. in warm water is what i have been cleaning with everyday.. i was patting him dry with an all cotton white tshirt. I take the guys old tshirys.. give them a good bleaching.. cut into squares to use for rags... then toss them. I have been careful to not get anything in his wounds by wearing gloves. He does not like the wash soak.. but seems to relax and enjoy the warm water rinse bucket. And he really doesnt like when i apply the ointment.. have tried my finger and a qtip.. either one must be terribly painful... :``(
I would really like to know how this happened?? And that it is on BOTH legs only on the outside... from foot to drumstick....

Tha
How is he?
Thank you so much for asking! I am glad he got the epsom salt soaks and the antibiotic ointment right away because i did not have on hand what our chix guru's told me to do, but i think by doing that it prevented bad infection until i could get what i needed! Last night was the first time i thought there was positive change in the right direction! It is still red looking, but not that swollen angry look. And even tho still red it doesnt look like raw proud flesh. I will post you some pics in a day or 2 to see what you think and if he is making enough progress for the number of days being treated! In the beginning he acted like the epsom salt soak may have burned or hurt him a little? But yesterday and today so far he has actually seemed to like it! 20 min was a long time for him. Hahaha after about 10 min he wanted it to be done! Hahaha. But he didnt fight it .. just would try to lift his leg to get out. Then yesterday guess he knew what would happen..and about his 10 min he relaxed so much it felt like my hand that i have under his breast was holding his weight... like he just was tired of standing and decided to take a load off! Hahaha. Then this morning i was talking soft and sweet to him and he didnt wait his 10 min ... i could feel him relaxing and resting in my hand... i just continued to talk to him and next thing i knew he had actually leaned towards me and laid his head on my arm.
. Hahaha. Wasnt long til he heard one of his girls announcing she laid an egg and he woke up and was on his feet and started making than throaty gaggle sound talking to her!! After that he was a little anxious wanting to go to her! Hahaha. Soon as i was done and sat him down...he ran towards where they were talking to them the whole way. Guess his legs dont hurt as bad as it does me looking at them! Hahaha. He loves his girls!! And is very very protective of them. And when time to go in.. got a couple stragglers that always want to stay up late! Haha he will go get them from the run.. he will walk sideways pushing them towards the door like herding cattle!! He will talk loud to them too like he is scolding them! Hahaha. Once they are in he will get back up on his roost-- he has so much personality and we got him as a day old chick...we are crazy about him and he knows it!! Hahaha
Oh.. we did weigh him to watch his weight as maybe a means to know if he got really sick from this maybe weight loss would be a sign he needs more help and he was a pound more than the last weight previously documented... now 12 lbs... that was the day after this started. Been weighing him every other day... always 12 so far.
Sorry to ramble on... but 1 question.... do you know if his scales will ever grow back? And if so how long? Hubby is extremely concerned that if his scales dont grow back he will always be susceptible to injury and infection???
Thank again for thinking of us... will get pics posted soon!

Tha

Thank you so much for asking! I am glad he got the epsom salt soaks and the antibiotic ointment right away because i did not have on hand what our chix guru's told me to do, but i think by doing that it prevented bad infection until i could get what i needed! Last night was the first time i thought there was positive change in the right direction! It is still red looking, but not that swollen angry look. And even tho still red it doesnt look like raw proud flesh. I will post you some pics in a day or 2 to see what you think and if he is making enough progress for the number of days being treated! In the beginning he acted like the epsom salt soak may have burned or hurt him a little? But yesterday and today so far he has actually seemed to like it! 20 min was a long time for him. Hahaha after about 10 min he wanted it to be done! Hahaha. But he didnt fight it .. just would try to lift his leg to get out. Then yesterday guess he knew what would happen..and about his 10 min he relaxed so much it felt like my hand that i have under his breast was holding his weight... like he just was tired of standing and decided to take a load off! Hahaha. Then this morning i was talking soft and sweet to him and he didnt wait his 10 min ... i could feel him relaxing and resting in my hand... i just continued to talk to him and next thing i knew he had actually leaned towards me and laid his head on my arm.
. Hahaha. Wasnt long til he heard one of his girls announcing she laid an egg and he woke up and was on his feet and started making than throaty gaggle sound talking to her!! After that he was a little anxious wanting to go to her! Hahaha. Soon as i was done and sat him down...he ran towards where they were talking to them the whole way. Guess his legs dont hurt as bad as it does me looking at them! Hahaha. He loves his girls!! And is very very protective of them. And when time to go in.. got a couple stragglers that always want to stay up late! Haha he will go get them from the run.. he will walk sideways pushing them towards the door like herding cattle!! He will talk loud to them too like he is scolding them! Hahaha. Once they are in he will get back up on his roost-- he has so much personality and we got him as a day old chick...we are crazy about him and he knows it!! Hahaha
Oh.. we did weigh him to watch his weight as maybe a means to know if he got really sick from this maybe weight loss would be a sign he needs more help and he was a pound more than the last weight previously documented... now 12 lbs... that was the day after this started. Been weighing him every other day... always 12 so far.
Sorry to ramble on... but 1 question.... do you know if his scales will ever grow back? And if so how long? Hubby is extremely concerned that if his scales dont grow back he will always be susceptible to injury and infection???
Thank again for thinking of us... will get pics posted soon!
So glad he's doing better!
The scales should grow back, not sure how long it will take though.

How is he?
It is so special of you to ask about our boy! He is continuing to look better. The only place that still looks bad is the most swollen area at the foot/leg that was so swollen where his feathers were. Of course all cleaning, medicating etc i do very gently and you could always tell how sore it was.. but this morning the only places he still seemed tender and wished i wouldnt touch was the areas that i would call lower leg ankle where all the feathers were broken! This evening my hubby is back and after soaking before medicating i will get pics for you... then you can give me your ideas... hopefully you will think he is better... and it isnt just wishful thinking on my part!
I will add that after soaking the 20 minutes he does look more red than prior to soaking. It isnt due to water being too hot.. definitely baby warm and shouldnt be too hot for him! A funny thing is from the time his feet go in the water.. he never moves... seems happy... the routine is such that he immediately starts wanting his snack! Tries to get it!! Hahaha. Each soak he gets 3 raisins... which he loves!! But he is totally content until it gets to 15 min. You can set a clock..it will be 15 min! Then the last he doesnt try to get out... but he will pull one foot up.. then put it down and put the other one up? No idea why he does it ??? So when he starts that i take the foot that is up and pull it down just enough the be in water then i gently and slowly move his leg back and forth... when he changes legs then i do the other one. When i had a very bad burn on my hand 50 years ago at one point they started putting my hand in a whirlpool bath. Said it was a way to debried tissued where the damaged tissue meets the good tissue and the dead tissue will come off naturally and it is painless for me. Since he doesnt seem to care if i do it... i do it every other day.
Thank sincerely for continuing to check in! We want him to get well so much!!..

It is so special of you to ask about our boy! He is continuing to look better. The only place that still looks bad is the most swollen area at the foot/leg that was so swollen where his feathers were. Of course all cleaning, medicating etc i do very gently and you could always tell how sore it was.. but this morning the only places he still seemed tender and wished i wouldnt touch was the areas that i would call lower leg ankle where all the feathers were broken! This evening my hubby is back and after soaking before medicating i will get pics for you... then you can give me your ideas... hopefully you will think he is better... and it isnt just wishful thinking on my part!
I will add that after soaking the 20 minutes he does look more red than prior to soaking. It isnt due to water being too hot.. definitely baby warm and shouldnt be too hot for him! A funny thing is from the time his feet go in the water.. he never moves... seems happy... the routine is such that he immediately starts wanting his snack! Tries to get it!! Hahaha. Each soak he gets 3 raisins... which he loves!! But he is totally content until it gets to 15 min. You can set a clock..it will be 15 min! Then the last he doesnt try to get out... but he will pull one foot up.. then put it down and put the other one up? No idea why he does it ??? So when he starts that i take the foot that is up and pull it down just enough the be in water then i gently and slowly move his leg back and forth... when he changes legs then i do the other one. When i had a very bad burn on my hand 50 years ago at one point they started putting my hand in a whirlpool bath. Said it was a way to debried tissued where the damaged tissue meets the good tissue and the dead tissue will come off naturally and it is painless for me. Since he doesnt seem to care if i do it... i do it every other day.
Thank sincerely for continuing to check in! We want him to get well so much!!..
Glad he's doing better!

Tried to put before and now together?? Not all the pics were great tonight ... it got dark and he was begging to go inside the coop! He could hear sounds from the girls and he really wanted to be done!! Hahaha. But he had already soaked, blow dried, and legs been sprayed down. So in the routine of things... it was time to go! Haha

Attachments

• 20221021_195708.jpg
    20221021_195708.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221015_181547.jpg
    20221015_181547.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 8
This is now and before of the leg and foot that had the blood feathers that kept wanting to drip again when touching at all for soaking or medicating. This looks much better, even some of the broken bent quill pins are beginning to stand out again instead of being crushed down against leg.

Attachments

• 20221021_195812.jpg
    20221021_195812.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221021_195757.jpg
    20221021_195757.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20221015_181615.jpg
    20221015_181615.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221015_181448.jpg
    20221015_181448.jpg