Scaly leg on Christmas Eve....I feel for them.

Oh ok...well I'm in Somerset at the moment, but hopefully they will be a bit better by the time I get back tomorrow, and if they aren't any better ill try cooking oil. Does it have to be any particular type? I'd guess it would be olive. I managed to acquire a husband for the house quail too.

Vaseline isn't working for me either, I'll try the cooking oil. I have two in my flock w/ the scale mites and I have been trying for months to total eradicate them.

Well, the birds seem to be much better today, a few of the scales have fallen off and been replaced by new ones. I do have some bad news though...turns out the male coturnix we bought (now christened Gerry) has an impacted crop
he.gif
Something always goes wrong...

Thanks for the help guys. I tried both of the salves (always try the easier option first) and I'm pretty sure vaseline worked the best. As far as I can tell, pretty much all of the scales have fallen off now. One more thing though...how long should I go on treating after recovery? I don't want those blasted bugs back again...

Personally I keep applying vaseline once a week for up to 6-8 weeks from the first treatment, just to assure myself that I have eradicated the little invisible leg monsters!

Great that your chickens have recovered so quickly!

I use vaseline on the legs and combs of my chickens when the weather here is very cold, like wearing porridge on the outside!

Suzie

hmmm...the combs you say? one of the birds has a big crusty yellow scab thing on the skin over his eye, but i thought that was from pecking? (my cream crested legbar cock really hates him, and they try and fight through the wire) could it be scaly...face?

Back
Top Bottom