Scaly Mites & Weird Eggs (2 separate questions)

Doorsopenat5

Chirping
Aug 24, 2020
hi all, any help would be so appreciated! (Two separate issues)

1. SCALY MITES: been trying to catch them and treat everyone… 2 are worse than the others, others seem perfectly well. Tried to do a foot bath, clean coop w vinegar mixture, sprinkled 1st Sat Lime then slather Vaseline or coconut oil a few times. How long and often should I continue each of these steps, and on every one? (One is impossible to catch and only did her once).
2. My 3 yo Silkie didn’t lay eggs for about a week, then laid a weirdly shaped egg with calcium deposits and blood on it, then laid a soft shell egg after that. Does this seem like a “normal” glitch in the system or should I be worried? Obviously we are going through scaly mites and I had separated the 3 feathered leg girls for a few days since they seemed worse, they are all back together now.

Thanks so much!!

I can't help you on the mites, but the eggs sound normal. The blood is probably just from a ruptured blood vessel from straining to lay the egg. Obviously make sure that she's getting proper nutrients so she'll start laying normal hard shelled eggs. If the blood continues on the eggs then you should start being concerned. Otherwise, it sounds normal to me!

What is your birds diet?
It takes a while to kill off mites, pick her up off the roosts and slather the legs with Vaseline, really work it in. It will be awhile before you'll see improvement.

thank you! They get organic layer feed and access to oyster shell separately always. Occasionally a scrap or scratch. How often and for how long do you suggest the Vaseline? I was reading 3 weeks to break the cycle/eggs but was wasn’t clear how often.

Back
Top Bottom