scaly mites?

kisforkinetic

Hatching
Oct 9, 2020
I fear I already know the answer! Is this scaly leg mites? I didn’t see anything like this in any of my other birds but I know that doesn’t necessarily mean anything and if it is scaly leg mites, they’ll all have to be treated regardless.

I am kicking myself wondering how long she’s been suffering because I couldn’t be bothered to force an interaction with her beyond bedtime and morning crop groping. She’s a mean and dramatic lady and she’s hard to catch but I think I’ve learned my lesson.

my last question—how should I treat the coop? I am guessing a scrub of some kind. I read once that a lice spray can be used to kill any on surfaces of the coop? I’m wary of that to say the least. thank you for your time!

AF165E9E-8992-4815-B31E-D01749A8EB85.jpeg

I've found that there is a simple treatment..for the feet, legs, ...and...body..for mites. Cheap too! I just go to the pet store and buy the mite control for Canary's and other small pet fowl. Works great! Now, to use for the whole coop? Not sure. They pick up mites outside, whether they free range or not, critters get in there, bodies, and coop. I never have sprayed my coop, just treated the problems on their bodies. Never had a problem solved once sprayed. Well, until the next year for body mites again. Good luck. 😊.

I only treat a bird that visibly has it, not all of them. A couple/few coats of NuStock usually knocks it out. I've read many suggestions for vaseline, but I've never tried it. Your bird is likely not suffering, but good to knock it out early as it will only get worse with time.

Back
Top Bottom