Scaly skinned newly hatched chick???

Reurra

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Nova Scotia
What is wrong with this chick????

It got stuck unzipping so after 24 hours I checked it and it was alive but dried in place. I went ahead and assisted a little.

What hatched isnt lie anything Ive ever seen! Its skin has some feathers but is mostly knobbly. Like feathers tried to grow but stopped. Healso feels cold despite my trying to warm him.

Any ideas??

Attachments

• 1526310842682-293995062.jpg
    1526310842682-293995062.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 20
Wow that is weird. Never seen that before. Could it be the feathers stuck under the skin like people get ingrowing hairs? I hope it makes it! It needs to be in the correct temperature to dry off.

The poor thing IS dry! thats why im so baffled.

I kinda wonder if the albumen dried on it before it could fluff.

If this is the case, how can i clean it off without harming it?

Over the years I have had to help a few chicks hatch. I have had chicks come out sticky and that is what I have done.

For dried on stuff I use a soft cloth or towel and gently rub the chick. The stuff comes off like dust. It usually takes two or three sessions to get them really clean because I like to give them breaks as they don't like it very much!

Edited to add that you have to rub against the direction of the fluff.

Still those litthe bumps all over its skin are NOT normal. It will probably feel extra cold without the normal amount of chick fluff.

Yeah hes way too young fior chicken skin! lol.

I think it may be the down feathers but he dried up so fast that they didnt have time to break open properly. I used a warm damp clothe to clean him a bit, lets hope it helps!

Hes got a tiny little bit of his sack sticking out and chirps constantly. Im thinking this may be giving him a lot of pain. Is it in enough that whats left can just fall off on its own?

Attachments

• 1526315828688502043997.jpg
    1526315828688502043997.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom