Scan from healing bumblefoot

Kathy Golla

Crowing
Jan 2, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
Hi Everyone ,
I have a situation that is puzzling me.
I have a buff Orpington that had a minor bumblefoot on both feet. I think based on what I've read here her bumblefoot was the type where it's from landing hard off the roost and there's not necessarily an abscess. I think I heard that can happen from theoldchick.

One foot healed up just fine in five weeks. This second foot is giving me a run for my money. For this foot, I pulled the bumble scab off and there was a pretty shallow hole. A healing scab formed over the hole and this scab has stayed the course for six weeks and has not healed and fallen off. It's on the pad of her foot. Now, the skin around the foot pad seems to be trying to grow over the scab, and the scab doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Nothing is red or swollen.

So I've soaked the foot in epsom for the last three days trying to soften the scab up and have been trying to soften the scab up with triple antibiotic. Today I was able to pull a slight edge up and see what's underneath the scab. It looks like granulating tissue. I really poked at it and used tweezers and im pretty sure it is not dried pus.
Has anyone encountered this? Any suggestions are very welcomed. This is starting to wear me out!

I didn't get a chance just now to take a pic as she was getting pretty perturbed. Can try tomorrow.

If you have a foreign body in the foot such as a splinter you will have this problem. This is where a veterinarian will surgically remove the lesion, scrape the area, flush the area for several minutes and keep the foot wrapped for a week. Antibiotics will most likely be prescribed. For those who can't provide veterinary care you can apply Ichthammol Ointment to the cleaned area and cover with a bandage. Repeat this process for seven days then reevaluate the lesion. Meanwhile make sure all your roosts are clean and provide a ramp for her to use. If you do decide to remove the lesion yourself, make sure you use sterile instruments and flush the area thoroughly afterwards, apply triple antibiotic ointment and bandage. Then keep her in a hospital cage until she is healed.

I pulled the original bumblefoot scab off six weeks ago. This scab that's on there right now is the scab that formed over the hole that was left.

You're giving me bumblefoot treatment instructions and I've already done that.

Her foot isn't swollen.

I pulled the original bumblefoot scab off six weeks ago. This scab that's on there right now is the scab that formed over the hole that was left.

You're giving me bumblefoot treatment instructions and I've already done that.

Her foot isn't swollen.

Pretty sure oldchick is sayin you most likely didnt get the true reason for that bumble and need make absolute shure there is nothin in the foot. But there also may be somethin you cannot see.

Yes, if you have something remaining in the foot you either have to let nature take care of it and you can help with that with what you are doing now, or cut out the infection. Since there is no swelling is she painful on the foot? Sounds like she is trying to form a callus which is the body's natural response to something in the foot-gravel, splinter or what ever. Since you have been dealing with this for 5 weeks you can continue on with soaks for a few more days OR you can apply a bandage using a drawing ointment. Here is the human version:
s-l640.jpg

The equine version:

drawing-salve-ichthammol-14oz-9.jpg

You can also try a poultice bandage using this product:
25824.jpg

Or you can cut out the lesion:
. I hope this link works.

If you do cut out the callus you have to isolate the hen from the flock and keep her in a clean, dry area until she heals.

Yes, you can have stubborn cases like this which will take time. What you are seeing-the granulation tissue-is the tissue trying to heal. It forms a hard callus which can be painful-like a human with a bunion on the foot.

The extremely difficult cases might be caused by a fracture and the bone has splintered. This can only be seen in an x-ray.

Hi @theoldchick

Thanks so much for helping me.

It's so confusing because a scab formed after I took the original bumble scab off and here I am just waiting for 6 weeks for the scab to fall off. Thanks for the info about the callous. The scab is thick and hard.

It doesn't seem to bother the hen at all but she might be masking pain, that hard scab on the bottom of her foot must be irritating.

We switched to prid drawing salve today and I'll keep that slathered on and see where that gets us this week. Since I kind of fooled with pulling off the scab yesterday I didn't want to put the iodine on it as that would burn on any open flesh.

I made an appointment late this coming week with the vet if things don't progress with the drawing salve or iodine.

Thanks again for helping me!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom