Scared Duckling

Can you share a photo of your brooder setup?
Does the duckling always sit in the same spot? Is this near the heat or away from it?
I'm wondering if there's something else going on here.
He always sits about 20cm away from the rest, there is only one other duckling who he likes and sometimes comes sits with him.
1ECABF4F-A982-4F03-BD36-D1E411ED3931.jpeg

Ducks, ducklings, chicks, chickens - as prey animals frequently fear anything approaching them from above. Constantly forcing yourself upon the duckling only reinforces these fears. Brooders where ducklings or chicks can be approached on their own level generally result in the calmest birds.

Cayuga’s can be more nervous than other breeds. Agree with thoughts about gentle handling. He looks like not far from food. I had a chick like this who we constantly found by the food bowl. Great eater gained weight well and nested with the group still. Watch closely make sure getting heat source, food, and water.

And they don’t pick on him? I think something else is going on too but what. It’s just not normal for ducklings not to pile together or like to hang out with the others, what are you feeding them?
They are eating organic unmedicated chick crumbs. I took off his foot band just because I think that could be the issue. They all have different colour bands so I can tell them apart but they all seem to be pecking his one ( possibly pushing him away)

Well hopefully removing the band will help if they have been interested in it. Let us know how it goes today make sure it’s able to get to water and feed.

Back
Top Bottom