Scared Duckling

Feb 8, 2019
I have 8 two day old Cayuga ducklings and they are all very friendly and cuddly. Apart from one, a duckling called kiwi. For some reason he hates humans and ducks, he will do anything to get away from you and shall peep until he is put in the run again. Why is this? Nothing has happened to him that hasn’t happened to the rest. I pick him up quite a bit and hope he will get used to it but he still screams constantly when I do
Thanks x

Can we have a pic or video of Kiwi. Is it created?
FB52DA57-43EC-4160-B9C6-325DAF9492AE.jpeg

My videos won’t load for some reason, but this is kiwi. He’s a cayuga/appleyard mix

Not all ducklings like to be handled/pet/picked up. If the duckling acts calm and normal while in the brooder I wouldn't worry too much. Try talking to it, giving treats, etc. If it is scared when you handle it, handling it more might just make it more scared. Take a step back with this one and move more slowly towards holding it. Just spend time in the room with it, talk calmly so it can learn your voice, etc.

Not all ducklings like to be handled/pet/picked up. If the duckling acts calm and normal while in the brooder I wouldn't worry too much. Try talking to it, giving treats, etc. If it is scared when you handle it, handling it more might just make it more scared. Take a step back with this one and move more slowly towards holding it. Just spend time in the room with it, talk calmly so it can learn your voice, etc.
I would try that but he doesn’t like the other ducklings either, he always sits away from them and peeps. The only thing I have found that makes him calm is if he sits in a sock with his head poking out:D

Back
Top Bottom