Scared ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Crashlystarr, May 26, 2019.

1. Crashlystarr

Crashlystarr In the Brooder

May 21, 2018
    first time raising ducks. We have 2 call ducks about 4 weeks old. And even though we handle them gently take good care of them they are extremely skiddish. Any suggestions?

2. Muscovy-palooza

Muscovy-palooza Songster

Oct 17, 2018
    East Tennessee
    How old were they when you got them? I have two orphan Muscovy that are like that. I can't get near them. They will come fairly close when I have yunmy wiggly worm treats. Aside from bribery, with I am in the same boat and will be interested in what others may suggest.

3. Crashlystarr

Crashlystarr In the Brooder

May 21, 2018
    They were 1 week old. My sons daycare hatch them and they were handled from the very beginning with lots of kids.

Muscovy-palooza likes this.
  4. DellaMyDarling

DellaMyDarling Songster

Dec 13, 2017
    Mass Hilltowns
    My ducks have succeeded in learning to free range this week, but are all still skittish as well.
    It stresses them greatly to be pursued, so I stopped attempting to force love on them haha. Definitely hoping for other tricks.

Muscovy-palooza likes this.
  5. Texag87

Texag87 Crowing

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    Starting at three weeks and continuing to at least six weeks ducklings view you as an ax murderer . Most of them go through this phase. Sitting down around them and hand feeding mealworms and peas gradually turns this around.

6. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Crowing

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    Yes this is a phase they go through. Just be patient with them. It's nothing you did just natural duck behavior.

7. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Not ducks but same situation with chicks. I have 5 silkies, I moved them in a coop type brooder so we are able to stop hovering to pick them up (were in a box). We now sit and let them decide to come out and see us, they are getting a lot more comfortable with coming up to us. Go out and sit, read a book, etc let them come to you. Have treats available. Best of luck!

quackiemama likes this.
  8. Bantam breeder2019

Bantam breeder2019 In the Brooder

May 26, 2019
    I had a similar issue with some chicks. Just be patient. Keep hand feeding treats or even sitting with them. They will soon learn your not a danger to them. It will pass. Just got to be patient

quackiemama likes this.
  9. the cluck juggler

the cluck juggler Incubator Addict

Jun 12, 2017
    Scandinavia
    Don't know what you mean by handle, but it's a good idea not to touch or lift them. Just sit still on the floor with them, and their curiosity will get the better of them eventually. All ducks I've come in contact with like to nibble at clothes, hands and shoes to "get to know you", but few like to be touched and cuddled with.

10. Tinkey71

Tinkey71 Songster

Nov 8, 2018
    Florida
    Mine are 7 months old and still, for the most part, are pretty skittish. I have “ trained” them to go in the coop in the evening when I feed them - used to have to chase them in. They are mostly going because they’ve figured out they better get in there and eat or their friends will finish it off! I’ve read that ducks are more predator savvy than chickens- they run away as a group and whoever is fastest survives!
    They will let me get a lot closer when I have food, but for the most part aren’t very trusting. I’ve read that Buffs have a good temperament for handling and my buffs are the only ones who don’t completely freak if I manage to catch them. I pretty much just let them do their own thing.

WVduckchick, Duckworth and DucksOhio like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: