Scared ducks

first time raising ducks. We have 2 call ducks about 4 weeks old. And even though we handle them gently take good care of them they are extremely skiddish. Any suggestions?
How old were they when you got them? I have two orphan Muscovy that are like that. I can't get near them. They will come fairly close when I have yunmy wiggly worm treats. Aside from bribery, with I am in the same boat and will be interested in what others may suggest.

How old were they when you got them? I have two orphan Muscovy that are like that. I can't get near them. They will come fairly close when I have yunmy wiggly worm treats. Aside from bribery, with I am in the same boat and will be interested in what others may suggest.
They were 1 week old. My sons daycare hatch them and they were handled from the very beginning with lots of kids.

My ducks have succeeded in learning to free range this week, but are all still skittish as well.
It stresses them greatly to be pursued, so I stopped attempting to force love on them haha. Definitely hoping for other tricks.

Not ducks but same situation with chicks. I have 5 silkies, I moved them in a coop type brooder so we are able to stop hovering to pick them up (were in a box). We now sit and let them decide to come out and see us, they are getting a lot more comfortable with coming up to us. Go out and sit, read a book, etc let them come to you. Have treats available. Best of luck!

first time raising ducks. We have 2 call ducks about 4 weeks old. And even though we handle them gently take good care of them they are extremely skiddish. Any suggestions?

I had a similar issue with some chicks. Just be patient. Keep hand feeding treats or even sitting with them. They will soon learn your not a danger to them. It will pass. Just got to be patient

Don't know what you mean by handle, but it's a good idea not to touch or lift them. Just sit still on the floor with them, and their curiosity will get the better of them eventually. All ducks I've come in contact with like to nibble at clothes, hands and shoes to "get to know you", but few like to be touched and cuddled with.

Mine are 7 months old and still, for the most part, are pretty skittish. I have “ trained” them to go in the coop in the evening when I feed them - used to have to chase them in. They are mostly going because they’ve figured out they better get in there and eat or their friends will finish it off! I’ve read that ducks are more predator savvy than chickens- they run away as a group and whoever is fastest survives!
They will let me get a lot closer when I have food, but for the most part aren’t very trusting. I’ve read that Buffs have a good temperament for handling and my buffs are the only ones who don’t completely freak if I manage to catch them. I pretty much just let them do their own thing.

Back
Top Bottom