Scared ducks

Don't know what you mean by handle, but it's a good idea not to touch or lift them. Just sit still on the floor with them, and their curiosity will get the better of them eventually. All ducks I've come in contact with like to nibble at clothes, hands and shoes to "get to know you", but few like to be touched and cuddled with.

Ah yes, the ax murderer stage.
I haven't had a duck yet that really wants to be cuddled beyond that 3 to 4 week mark. I don't force them to cuddle. I just enjoy having them close by. They are very curious creatures and if you spend time with them just going about your business they eventually can't resist coming over to see what your up to. Treats like meal worms and peas help.
My Cayuga ducks I have trained to go in their houses at night with meal worms.

I just got 4 ducklings a little over a week ago & they are around the same age as yours.

They were acting just like you described but since I started giving them treats here or there (only 2 days ago)when I go to clean or feed them they have come around ALOT. Now they will come to the door and stare at me inquisitively and I can even gently pet a couple of them.

Mine are 7 months old and still, for the most part, are pretty skittish. I have “ trained” them to go in the coop in the evening when I feed them - used to have to chase them in. They are mostly going because they’ve figured out they better get in there and eat or their friends will finish it off! I’ve read that ducks are more predator savvy than chickens- they run away as a group and whoever is fastest survives!
They will let me get a lot closer when I have food, but for the most part aren’t very trusting. I’ve read that Buffs have a good temperament for handling and my buffs are the only ones who don’t completely freak if I manage to catch them. I pretty much just let them do their own thing.

They were 1 week old. My sons daycare hatch them and they were handled from the very beginning with lots of kids.
Also any sugges
Hello..I call that stage Gingerbread Man syndrome.:gig
They act like your going to kill them. I have Calls and raise them too. I don't handle my Ducks. They do come when I call them and enjoy laying at my feet.
Hello..I call that stage Gingerbread Man syndrome.:gig
They act like your going to kill them. I have Calls and raise them too. I don't handle my Ducks. They do come when I call them and enjoy laying at my feet.
How do you get them to go into their house each night. I was thinking about taking their food away in the afternoon than putting it in the house right before sunset but I’m worried they will make to big a mess with the water.

Yep, pretty much the same here. Mine hang around to see what I’m doing, hang out close to wherever I am in the yard, but lord don’t try to touch! :lol:

For really young ones, just sit on the floor or ground with them and let them come to you. They will eventually climb on your legs, etc, but super friendly ducks are an exception to normal duck behavior. Single ducks will more likely attach to a human, but multiple ducks attach to each other.

The older they get, they finally understand that you are their provider, and they will tolerate you being around. I have to step over my older ones now, if they are laying down, they won’t even move.

As far as going in on their own, every group of mine has learned within a few days where they are expected to be at night. Just wrangle them in the best way you can to start out. They will get it. My ducks are always last to go in though. Chickens head in as the sun starts to go down, but the ducks wait till the very last minute of dusk before they head in.

Good luck!

Also any sugges

How do you get them to go into their house each night. I was thinking about taking their food away in the afternoon than putting it in the house right before sunset but I’m worried they will make to big a mess with the water.
I provide feed and water 24/7 inside their house till Ducklings are around 6 weeks old. Then I remove it from the house. Depending on how predator proof your pen is they don't need to be locked in each night. All my Ducks have water and feed 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom