Scared ducks

kiweed

Songster
8 Years
May 9, 2011
Murfreesboro TN
We have 2 unknown ducks. When we got them the women said they were campbells but we are not so sure. Anyways they are so scared of us. They use our 10x10 pond as a Safe haven and won't come near us. If I want to catch one we have to use a pool skimmer to guide them out. TheY freak out and run around trying not to be caught. Any suggestions? Is it just the breed? Or the age? They have never been too comfortable with being held. We have had them since they were 7 days old. Here is a pic from 2 weeks ago sorry it is sideways.

91057_securedownload.jpeg

Probably the age. And thats a welsh harlequin. They are suppost to ne really nice ducks, I have four and they a scared freaks! But they are just young, so yours should warm up later.

Perseverance and food will get you part of the way to having tamer ducks- but already it sounds like they will never be totally trusting of you. They may be a light Campbell or cross breed duck- But it certainly doesnt look dark enough to be a Khaki Campbell.

Do you put them in a pen at night? If so in the morning when they are hungry- catch them and sit with them in your lap holding some food. Its really only worth trying this when they are hungry- so they at least will have some reason to be interested in the food. Also- if you get a bright coloured scoop or dish to feed them with- they will learn to recognise it and be more likely to come to you when they see it and they are hungry.

They go into there dog house at night. I put a Door on it with hardware cloth to protect them. In the morning I open the door and they come out when they think the coast is clear.

Back
Top Bottom